LBZ: Coolant smell

Jon7891

Mar 14, 2016
New Hampshire
Hey everybody,

What is the best way to find a coolant leak I may or may not have? My truck randomly smells like coolant in front and under the hood, but my coolant level has not changed. I've been noticing the smell off and on for months but every time I smell it, it goes away just as fast as it came. This morning I was letting my truck warm up while cleaning it off and the smell was real strong I could smell it about halfway down the side of the truck. Went and smelled the exhaust and it smelled normal. There's no soot in the overflow and no hard hoses when the truck is cold. This smell is starting to drive me nuts

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Of you smell it more after a hard run it is from them dripping onto the firewall insulation. When the exhaust gets hot it evaporates it from the insulation.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
That's what my issue ended up being as well. The coolant would drip onto the exhaust and I could never find a puddle. Took the oem clamps off, put on regular hose clamps, and haven't had any leak's since.

Jon7891

Mar 14, 2016
New Hampshire
The coolant in the reservoir doesn't seem to be going down at all so it must be a really small or intermittent drip. I will definitely check those clamps!

DangerousDuramax

Nov 3, 2006
Houston, Tx
You also need to consider changing your hoses. Over time the polymer starts to break down and the coolant begins to permeate into the hoses. You will actually start to smell the coolant but wont have a leak. Change your hoses/clamps and smell goes away. :thumb: