coolant leak

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
is it common for the turbo to leak coolant? i had a truck dropped off and was diagnosing it for coolant loss i put a pressure tester on it today and started pumping it up and noticed it leaking from the heater core connectors, fixed that and took it for a test drive and got back and the inside of the exhaust was wet and smelled of coolant. egr has also been deleted so that would rule out coolant leaking from that. anything else it could be?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Not something I have heard of happening much. Is it still consuming coolant? How fast?

You could unhook the coolant lines to the turbo, cap one end of the turbo, and pressurize the other end to 20 PSI. Watch to see if the pressure leaks down or not.

Any other history on the truck? LLYs are somewhat infamous for head gasket failure, so you might look for other signs of that.

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
my first thought was the head gaskets as well but the cooling system was not building any pressure when crawling under the vehicle i noticed what looked like stains on the bell housing but im assuming that was from the heater core hoses leaking i will see if i can plug the coolant lines to the turbo in the morning and see if it will hold presure