Coolant disappearing!!!

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
ok so about every two or three weeks im having to add coolant in my truck. I have tried really hard to trace it down and cant find a leak. It does not build up high pressure in the cooling system as if head gaskets were leaking. Does not smoke or blow out water vapor. it does not leak on the concrete so ?????????? Any suggestions?

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
No leak out of the water pump weep hole? Check upper rad. hose in the morning when the motor is cool to see if it's hard.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
No leak out of the water pump weep hole? Check upper rad. hose in the morning when the motor is cool to see if it's hard.

Please define "hard" upper Rad. hose? After a water pump change out, I checked my this morning and it was colapised? WTF?

Red Dmax

Big Boy Toys
Apr 19, 2009
Thats normal if air temp outside is fairly cool. Mine is like that almost every morning.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Pull glow plugs, pressurize system over night with airline,10-15lbs NO MORE THAN 20lbs. Check to see if coolant in cylinders. Either a head gasket or injector cup.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Pull glow plugs, pressurize system over night with airline,10-15lbs NO MORE THAN 20lbs. Check to see if coolant in cylinders. Either a head gasket or injector cup.

Thanks for all your help, How difficult is it to pull the glow plugs? and do I have to pull all 8 of them? I am assuming you mean to pressurize the cooling system through the bleeder valve ontop of the thermostat housing correct? How is that achived? I can get air in there but how do I get it to stay?

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Mine had the same slow loss. There was no coolant on the garage floor and didn't seem to be any leak. Only way to see it was by taking the plastic pan off and looking up from below with a flashlight. There was a small dribble from the water pump. What came out while the truck was sitting landed on that plastic pan, then driving blew it away. Probably more came out with speed but it would get blown away too. As it gets worse there'll be coolant dropping down when you stop, especially on a hill.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
No injector cups on lly. Have you checked the oil for any coolant? Did you say you just did the water pump?

Yes I just finished the water pump change out. I drove the truck this afternoon and seems to be running ok. I will keep an eye on everything to see what new develops. I would still like to check the cylinders for coolant.

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I was going by first post, says '01 on sig

Lol I just noticed there where two people. My bad. :screwy: I get confused sometimes. I hope for both of their sakes its just a water pump. HG is no fun.
The only symptoms I had when my pass side HG went out was pressure in the cooling system, and running a little bit warmer than usual. Only way I could tell which cylinder it was is because that piston was cleaner than the others. You may not find any coolant in the cylinder.

Last edited:

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Shawn,

Are you sure you got all the air out of the coolant system after you installed the new water pump? The reason I ask is there have been some other guys on here that have had a similar issue but it was due to air in the coolant system.

Also some of you guys have said before (and correct me if I am wrong) if the HG is blown, you should be able to smell coolant in the exhaust or get it on your hand if you put your hand over the exhaust.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Shawn,

Are you sure you got all the air out of the coolant system after you installed the new water pump? The reason I ask is there have been some other guys on here that have had a similar issue but it was due to air in the coolant system.

Also some of you guys have said before (and correct me if I am wrong) if the HG is blown, you should be able to smell coolant in the exhaust or get it on your hand if you put your hand over the exhaust.

Thank you for the heads up. I have now logged about 300 miles on the truck and everything seems to be fine for the time being. I may have had airin the system which cause the concern for the lose of coolant. :hug:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Shawn,

I'd sure like to know this. Mine's leaking and dripping off the idler arm. I'll have to go and see if it's coming from the tailpipe