Converting very old trailer hubs to modern bolt circle?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I "inherited" my Dad's 1940 David Bradley trailer quite a few years ago. I need to put new tires on it (existing H78-15 are 18 y/o, swapping to 225/75R15 D rated) but when I pulled the tires off today, I found one rim is rotted around the valve stem area and has a tube in it.
I doubt the tire shop will put a new tire on the wheel, even with a new tube.
Problem is, the wheels are 5 on 5-1/4 bolt circle, which on my tour around Google I found that wheels with this bolt circle no longer exist.
Can anyone here give me pointers/advice on how to swap modern bolt circle hubs onto this old trailer? What do I need to measure to determine which hub to use?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

660catman

May 18, 2021
You will need to know whether the axle is tapered where bearing size between the inner and outer is different. Some are 1 3/8 to 1 1/16 and some are 1 1/16 inner and outer. Standard hubs are 5 x 4.5. Also measure from the lip where inner race butts up against to the axle end.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab

Reactions: TheBac

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Those are old Ford rims. You can probably pick up a set at the local pull a part off just about any 1980's or older model.

One other thing would be to see if you can have the hub re drilled for a larger bolt pattern. Not ideal, but until you can either change the axles (could be cheaper and easier than hub swapping) or find hubs that fit.

Have you tried talking to the local tire shop? Sometimes they have avenues to things that seem to be out of date.

660catman

May 18, 2021
I found something interesting on another forum about a guy rebuilding one. He talked about wheel adapters but not where he was getting them. Also, looking at his pictures you could easily build a new straight axle with tubing and weld in stub axles.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yup, thats the trailer. Heavy duty SOB, its hauled so many loads of sand, mulch, dirt, junk, its not funny. Needs a lot of metalwork as its rusting, but its a "family heirloom", so Im going to repair it best I can. Im the third gen Bacon to own the "green trailer".

I can remember as a little kid riding in it from the concrete place with a yard of playsand for our sandbox ---- back when we could do such things.

Pulled a hub today. Found the spindle is 1-3/16" (30mm) straight for the inner bearing, and necks down to 1-7/64 (28mm) for outer bearing. Spindle total length from inner race to end of threads is 4.92" (125mm)

80-y/o bearings looked absolutely perfect. Amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 660catman

660catman

May 18, 2021
Found a website that makes custom adapters.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you pull the hubs off, it might be possible to take them to a machine shop and have them redrilled to a different bolt pattern depending on the way the hub is designed.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

I was pretty much thinking Id have to buy an axle, hubs and new wheels. Figured about $400. Then, I got the bright idea to take the rusted wheel to the fab shop on my route and ask for advice. I showed the wheel to the owner and he says, "Yes, I think I can fix that. We do it for farm wagons." He also mentioned that if he couldnt repair it, he recommended I look for a wheel "blank", and he could remove the wheel center and weld it into the new rim.
Well, I get to googling on my tablet when I was at lunch, looking for a 15x5 wheel blank, and while scroilling thru pages of pictures looking for something, what do you know......I find the actual wheel! Turns out its not a "trailer wheel", its an "implement wheel" and Shoup (who's parts I deliver all the dang time!) has them available for $70/pc. So, thank god, I think I can fix this thing!

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Make sure the backspacing is the same. Trailers don't usually have a lot of clearance between the inner sidewall and the inner fender sheetmetal/frame. If they have the same offset (meaning more backspace on the wider wheel), you could end up with a rub especially when loaded. If you've already verified you have ample clearance, disregard my comment.