Converter stays locked in tow/haul when trans is cold

TQMONSTR

Nov 19, 2009
Canada
On Monday night i left my house to go play hockey. My house is about 500 feet from the highway. I had tow/haul on and when I got to the stop sign the truck tried pushing through the brakes and then stalled. I started it back up, disengaged tow/haul and kept driving. Worked normally but I didn't put tow/haul back on either. This morning it did the same thing. Drove to my local diesel shop to have them check it out but they're closed til August 2nd. Not sure if it's related but my truck also sounds like it has a supercharger on it. The whining follows the rpm so I know it's not tires or a diff or something like that. The power steering works fine and is full of fluid. Truck has a built trans and a 1056 but not sure how many miles are on them. Previous owner had the trans built by the same shop I use. Any ideas?

TQMONSTR

Nov 19, 2009
Canada
no codes. Tough to tell exactly where the whining is coming from. It kind of sounds like it's coming from the passenger side foot well but who knows.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well it can only be a few things. Noise does not sound promising.
Bad converter, bad F trim solenoid, Stuck F trim valve, damaged converter flow valve, or plugged trans cooler.

TQMONSTR

Nov 19, 2009
Canada
I bought the truck in April and the noise has been there the whole time. I didn't notice it til my brother took my truck for a drive and pointed it out to me. The hottest I've seen the trans temp get on the DIC is 80 Celsius. The problem seems to go away after the truck warms up if that helps at all. I can't say I'd be disappointed if it was the converter. I never liked the 1056 anyway...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Check cooler flow at 2100 rpm at the passenger side line at the cooler when cold. always try the easy stuff first.

TQMONSTR

Nov 19, 2009
Canada
Is there any reason the problem goes away once the truck is up to operating temp? Can I do any more damage if I continue driving it?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Is there any reason the problem goes away once the truck is up to operating temp? Can I do any more damage if I continue driving it?

If it's pushing through the brakes it's dragging the converter clutch which is not good.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Welcome? It's true. Watch tcc slip and try to command lockup. Have to do some kind of diagnostics to narrow it down.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
.......... Really?

What was wrong with a PM.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk