Converter recommendations for my half ton

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm just about to the point where it's time to build the trans in my half ton LLY. I'm looking for converter recommendations. The truck is a daily driver and I take it to the track. It only weighs 5500 lbs with me in it in full street trim. I will never tow with it. I might stay with just the stock turbo, and may do something like an S475 over stock in the future. Either way, the stock turbo will stay on the motor. The motor will also stay stock.

What are everyone's thoughts and/or recommendations?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
I'm going with a 1058. From what I have read and heard, 1058 has good street manners, good for the track, works well with the stock charger and will work with twins.

Your truck sounds like mine: DD, doesn't tow (couple times a year), sees action at the track every couple weeks, plan on twinning.

Just a thought. Mine is sitting waiting for my build in hopefully a couple weeks. Would be doing it right now if my dad hadn't gone on holidays lol

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have done a ton of reading and searching and it's looking like either the 1058 or ML-G are the answer. Have a phone call in to Mike L to talk about recommendations as well.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've been thinking about weight backwards in relation to converter stall speed. Just realized that with lighter weight to get moving, a converter will act tighter than it would in a heavier truck, so I'd want to go looser. I think I get it now :baby:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I've been thinking about weight backwards in relation to converter stall speed. Just realized that with lighter weight to get moving, a converter will act tighter than it would in a heavier truck, so I'd want to go looser. I think I get it now :baby:

:thumb::D