Converter drain back?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My truck has been sitting with no engine for about 6 weeks. I pulled the trans dipstick today and noticed it's showing over full by about 2.5 inches. Read about Allisons and drainback after sitting for extended periods, does this sound like what's going on?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
My truck has been sitting with no engine for about 6 weeks. I pulled the trans dipstick today and noticed it's showing over full by about 2.5 inches. Read about Allisons and drainback after sitting for extended periods, does this sound like what's going on?

Checking the fluid without the truck running doesn't tell you much.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Checking the fluid without the truck running doesn't tell you much.

I figured normally it would show a little over full but this is way over, that's why I was wondering.

So its not slanted down at all at this end? This could show higher than normal levels.

Not significantly. Engine is back in the truck as of today and I checked it after, which is when I noticed it over full.

First thing I actually noticed was the dipstick tube grommet seeping a little bit of fluid. Grommet is only about 4 months old, so I thought that was strange.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Could very well be the converter draining back through the bell housing and into the pump and trans. Only way to know is start it and check again. Which will pump the fluid instantly back into the converter.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Remember that the converter is sitting on its side and whatever fluid is above the hub will eventually drain back into the pan. Normal.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mike told me the same a while back. Mine sits for a week or two before I usually start it and she will need to idle for a bit to fill back before she moves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I've found if I park slightly nose high, my converter drains back fairly easily. And with the engine off, your going to show way over full. With the engine off all of your apply pistons have drained down, and the fluid cavities aren't filled above the pan level without the pump running to move the fluid up to them.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
That's all good news. The only other explanation was water in the trans pan from the rainstorm we got this weekend, but I could not figure out how that could have happened. That was my main concern, not worried about it now though.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I've found if I park slightly nose high, my converter drains back fairly easily. And with the engine off, your going to show way over full. With the engine off all of your apply pistons have drained down, and the fluid cavities aren't filled above the pan level without the pump running to move the fluid up to them.

Maybe that's why the factory puts the nose so low, and the ass so high on these trucks?!? To prevent converter drain back.... :roflmao: