Competition Pulling

T800

Mar 13, 2015
Why is it that in the2.6 3.0 and Superstock Truck classes the Trucks with the Cummins engines seem to be at the top of the class at about every pull. I know there are not near as many duramaxes but would think one of them would be somewhat competitive.

T800

Mar 13, 2015
I would guess the price tag wouldn't be that much difference in the top trucks.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I think the solid axle has some to do with it also. I know when I went to bg last year the cummins killer didn't do so hot. But that truck has had a few good pulls and is set up nicely.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Cummins have been in the game a lot longer than a duramax. Still a lot of learning, building and developing things, not to mention the cost to get the shit. I'd imagine a cummins is a fair amount cheaper in any class, especially the lower classes.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
A p pump cummins gets the trickle down effect from tractor pulling. And common rail diesels are just now catching up in the fuel injection rate capabilities, at the expense of your wallet. Also, in the cummins world, there are a few shops that will sell you turn key motors that will make enough power to win your class at any event, all you have to do is write the check.(big one)

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Theres quite a few competitive 2.6 Dmaxs in my neck of the woods. The Cummins is cheaper to build and easier to make power with like Isaac said, due to the same basic platform being used for years in tractors. Not to mention the fact that a stock bottom end Cummins will last way longer than the v8 counterparts.

A p pump cummins gets the trickle down effect from tractor pulling. And common rail diesels are just now catching up in the fuel injection rate capabilities, at the expense of your wallet. Also, in the cummins world, there are a few shops that will sell you turn key motors that will make enough power to win your class at any event, all you have to do is write the check.(big one)

Those Haisley motors do sound sweet at 6k rpm though!

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
A lot of the rules and specs favor the Cummins trucks. Like said above. Cummins has been around for 10 years longer. Look at where we have got it the last 10 years. Around here the Duramaxs have been winning a lot.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
It does come down to mechanical injection IMO, duramaxes on a 3.0 and 2.6 level drive a turbo harder than most of the Cummins stuff, the electronics and common rail stuff adds more complication... When Brad Ingram was running 3.0 I believe his standalone common rail made more power, but was broke every few hooks or causing issues, so they had a mechanical engine setup and swapped out half the time...

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Within as close to an apples to apples comparison as you can do of an I6 vs V8, at the top of the game, it's not much, if any, cheaper to build a top running cummins and a driveline to hold it compared to a duramax.

I think they're still at the top because there's so many building them that they're able to learn and progress faster than the few who are building the duramax to that level. And they have about mastered their fuel system whereas the duramax shops/minds are just now getting to really push the CR system to that upper 3.0 level. I think the CR fuel system is there for 2.6. Even the CR cummins is becoming more and more competitive all the time.

CurtisEmery

Mar 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Like has been previously stated. It comes down to rate of injection. We have more ci and much better heads,yet still lag behind. The only difference is the injection system. Once we can match the mechanical injection rate and flow things will start to swing in the common rails favor.