Code p0299 after EGR delete

John13296

Sep 1, 2015
So I recently installed the sinister egr delete kit on my 05 lly, and I'm getting the p0299 code, turbocharger/supercharger under boost condition. I've checked all boots and the inter cooler for leaks, pressure tested the system and have found no boost leaks. I've also removed the soot trap to try and free up the exhaust incase there was some sort of blockage in there. Also checked for play on the impeller shaft and have maybe .5 millimeter up and down play but no back and forth or left to right. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. Oh yeah and it only has 34xxx miles on it. Any help would be awesome...

John13296

Sep 1, 2015
Btw it's also loosing power after 3/4 throttle and no smoke, white black or blue:confused :confused:

John13296

Sep 1, 2015
No other turbo codes. Throws p1404 and another egr related code I can't remember at the moment.

John13296

Sep 1, 2015
No it's not tuned at all. I was assured by my local shop that the delete wouldn't cause any issues. Is it a possibility that there is some miscommunication between the maf sensor and egr? Also could it be as simple of a fix as a clogged soot trap messing with turbo spool up?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Not sure what this "soot trap" is you keep referring to. But you either need a tune or finger stick.

John13296

Sep 1, 2015
Catalytic converter. Sorry used the common term for it where I'm at. Also where can I get the finger stick? Also what tuners have an egr delete tune with them. I'm looking at a ppe right now.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
KENNEDY diesel I believe still sell's the finger stick. It's a fooler to fool the ECM into seeing a different MAF reading when the EGR is supposed to be open. Without it or a tune, the ECM will not see the EGR opening and code as well as possibly defueling the engine. Both your problems are from you deleting the EGR without the proper supporting mods. I owuld go with a custom tune from many of the EFILIVE vendors as far as tuning. It wil lbe MUCH better than a canned tuner, can help your milage out, give you a safe boost in power, as well as improve the overall driveability of the truck while eliminating the codes without installing anything else.

John13296

Sep 1, 2015
So basically to fix the problem it's better long term to invest in efi live and make sure the egr is set to off in the program (or get a tune with the egr disabled.) last question, should I avoid running a higher hp than stock tune untill the motor is broke in, or will it be ok with maybe a +60 and egr disable?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Depending on your end goal it could be better to do an exchange ECM from one of the many good EFILIVE based tuners out there, get an autocal, or go for a V2 if you plan on doing your own tuning. Without knowing your end goals, it is hard to make a reccomendation. But in any case, I would definately go with a custom tune to shut off the EGR codes as well as eliminate it from the tuning. While the tune is being done, it is simpl enough to do away with the P0299 from coming on as well by changing the boost differential required to trip it.