CO2 injection?

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
i know there is propane and nitrous injection and basically how they work but i found a CO2 injection kit called CryO2 and had never herd of one before. im just curious how it works. could someone explain :confused:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
The one's I've seen just use it for cooling. It doesn't actually go into your motor and you wouldn't want it to also.

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
You hook the system on to your intercooler and its sprays it to drop intake temps
On my 300zx I saw a drop from 140f down. To 75f with a small side mount intercooler I don't. Think its a big enough gain to try imop

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
From reading their site, it appears that it just uses the expansion of the liquid CO2 to cool your fuel and/or air before going into the engine. Like everyone says, the CO2 itself doesn't go into your motor.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
You hook the system on to your intercooler and its sprays it to drop intake temps
On my 300zx I saw a drop from 140f down. To 75f with a small side mount intercooler I don't. Think its a big enough gain to try imop

Using the spray system leaves the chance of the intake sucking in the CO2. Some of the other kits use a sealed system that works like a heat exchanger.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I made a large spray bar for the front of the IC. Durring a pass if it was used, it slowed me down. im guessing the intake was seeing some of the Co2. I also used it in staging when i was the 2nd vehicle back to soak the IC. Actually killed the truck one time:rofl:, but i did see 1mph gain. Not worth it IMO, i was going through a 10lb N20 bottle every time i soaked it lol. The staging guy thought i lost the radiator the first time i used it in staging, and wanted me to shut down :)

Attachments

• spray bar 002.jpg
    spray bar 002.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

MuscleTruck03

Wants a turbo!! or two...
Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
I actually have heard of guys back in the street racing days using co2 like NNNOOOOSSSS foggers and spraying them towards the other guys ricer to slow them up :rofl:
I have used water meth on intercoolers to help cool them... wrx sti's come with it from the factory

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Where do the kits dump the exhausted Co2? As long as it's kept far away from contaminating the intake charge, it might work.

I've seen some into exhaust or into another exchanger or "cheater jets that would blow towards the other guys car/truck like MuscleTruck03 said.

camomax

pushing the limits
Nov 5, 2008
Florida
My system(not done yet, due to those damn cup issues,now solved...thank you DTS) consists of these tear drop shaped aluminum bulbs, that are mounted, and plumbed into your charge air piping. Triggered by full throttle switch, button, hobbs, etc. It can then be exhausted wherever you choose.....intercooler, oil cooler, trans cooler, etc. Just keep it from entering the intake airflow. Should have it mounted and plumbed next week. I'll be sure to get you guys some before and after temps.

Attachments

• cryo2.jpg
    cryo2.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 22
Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I've got some CO2 stuff in the works. A little different than the stuff on the market now. Should use quite a bit less CO2 per pass and still get the job done. I'm planning on working out a test stand to see if the theory transfers. If it does, I'll do some dyno time this winter and hopefully have something ready for spring.