Clutch Instead of Torque Convertor

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Mike, I keep hearing rumor of a particular pulling truck being built that has an allison transmission in it BUT instead of a traditional torque converter connecting it to the engine, it has a clutch setup.

1) Is this type of thing done on ANY automatic transmissions?
2) If yes, can it actually be done with an allison 1000? physically or even theoretically?
3) Do you know about this or of any others that might be doing this?

C-ya

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Mercedes has a trans that does this in a few of their big trucks. So I guess it is possible but sounds like a lot of manufacturing to build one for an ally.

An electric controlled clutch set-up controlled by the TCM would work, but i'm not sure if it could actuate fast enough.

Interesting idea Mitch.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Trans

They used to make a clutch turbo and clutch flite trans like that in the 70's. They were cool. You machined the bell off and bolted a blowproof on with a adapter. They were hard on parts as there is no fluid coupler and did seem to leak a little. I would love to see that on a ally. Jeff

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
money isn't an object for the guy that's supposedly done this. He spent oodles just dominate work stock. I expect a show-stopper when it's done. Supposed to be a 3.0 truck.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have not heard of it with an Alli. If I was going to do this it shure as hell wouldn't be an Alli as there are better transmissions for this kind of setup.

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
I know this kind of set up is used in some class 8 trucks. Push in the clutch to stop, let it out and the trans. does the shifting.

These are called automatics but they are just 100% computer controlled manual transmissions. You push the clutch down, pull the shifter in D and release the clutch then the computer takes over and takes fuel away on shifts the engages a selonoid on the trans for the next shift. Insted of your hand makeing the shift it is the computer and selonoid up shifting and down shifting the manual trans shift forks where the stick normally goes.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I grew up with a guy that had a blown 1969 chevelle. He had a clutched auto tranny. I don't remember what kind it was though.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
We already have this ability with the lock up converters. The TCM already does a regulated apply. With some tweeking, you get near manual response. Just need to find a way to get it to lock in 1'st

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
We already have this ability with the lock up converters. The TCM already does a regulated apply. With some tweeking, you get near manual response. Just need to find a way to get it to lock in 1'st

Not knowing that much about Allison's, what is it that won't allow lockup in First? Is it a mechanical limitation (valve body) or is it an electronic issue?

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
use two washers and shim your converter flow valve to about .150 dont ask me how I know:rolleyes: it wont lock the converter but it will definately give the truck some interesting street manners, I think it kinda simulates running a tighter converter

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Not knowing that much about Allison's, what is it that won't allow lockup in First? Is it a mechanical limitation (valve body) or is it an electronic issue?

It is the TCM programming that prevents 1'st gear lock up. AFAIK no one has really cracked the TCM code past looking at and modifying the tables.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
use two washers and shim your converter flow valve to about .150 dont ask me how I know:rolleyes: it wont lock the converter but it will definately give the truck some interesting street manners, I think it kinda simulates running a tighter converter

That drags the clutch ( partial apply ) and will detroy the coverter and overheat the Alli.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I did not have the instructions and lost the tool when I did my suncoast 3. Found a thread on the diesel place and did what it said to shim the main pressure valve, the thread was either incorrect or I looked at the picture the wrong way and It ran like this for a couple thousand miles wasnt too bad just a pain to hold back at a stoplight and first gear was real ly jumpy. Tried an 03 TCM it seemed to help but eventually had to tear into the trans to fix it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I dont think 1st gear lockup is hydraulically possible on the allison. If you ground the f-trim solenoid control wire in first gear nothing happends. It only locks up once it shifts into second.

ben

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I dont think 1st gear lockup is hydraulically possible on the allison. If you ground the f-trim solenoid control wire in first gear nothing happends. It only locks up once it shifts into second.

ben

You cannot get lock up in first gear because of the positioning of the shift valves in the valve body. It can be done but would be a huge project that would never pay for itself.