Center Console Removal

Grizzly5531

Super Slow
Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
Does anyone have any instruction's or tips and tricks on removing the center console in a 2005 GMC crewcab? I have to get my headliner recovered and the guy at the interior shop says he Can't get the headliners out of these trucks without removing the console and he doesn't know how to do it.

Thanks in advance,
James

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
The center console is not to bad to remove, but typically the headliner would come out the windshield.
Remove both front seats (4 nuts each), pull the cup holder and disconnect the wire harness. Pull the 2 slot/2 12 volt outlet and bezel around it. Remove the 2 10 mm bolts that hold the console to the dash. Lift up on the rear of the console and give a pull.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I've had mine out it is easy. As above and I also recall I think there is a couple bolts under the removable rubber mat isn't there? My truck is a 01 so it might be different.
Why do you need to remove it anyway for the head liner replacement or do you mean the over head cubby ?

Grizzly5531

Super Slow
Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
Thanks for the help I'm gonna try to get it out this weekend. The only interior guy in town here says there isn't enough room with the center console in to rotate the headliner so it will fit out the door. I also thought of the windshield idea but I don't want to risk it getting broken and then I have to pay for that aswell.

MACKIN are you talking about the rubber mat in the cubby?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
It's been awhile since I had my center console out. I took it out to run wires under it for a Amp and sub in the back seat area. I have a 01 so things could be different but one thing is they come out easy like any interior piece in these trucks. I was installing a new head unit so I had to obviously take more apart.

I recall you need to remove the cup holder to expose a couple bolts in saying that although that could be to remove the panel around the factory Cassette.

Then inside the center console on mine anyway there is a rubber matte in the bottom as a cushion for noise and things rolling around. Under that matte is (4) bolts. believe they need to be removed. I also popped out the inner box ,bucket ,liner or what ever you want to call it . It's the whole piece that covers the entire inside of the console. It comes out the same way the cup holder does just pops out.

I don't know if that needs to be done ,you'll know once you get the (4) bolts out if its loose at that point. I removed it because I mounted some switches to it.

It's amazing how easy these interiors come apart compared to older vehicles. Take your time it's really simple.

Good luck

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The 01-02 consoles are a little different as far as removal process, because they are kind of in two parts.

As BHoward said, for the 2003+ consoles, remove the front seats, disconnect the main bale connector, and then unbolt the two long 10mm bolts behind the cubby hole/12v outlet plastic bezel. The whole thing is all self contained/bolted together, HVAC ducting, bose amp, bose sub, wiring, and all...