Cast vs Billet wheel turbo whistle.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Has anyone ran both in a S366 or similar? I can pick up a billet wheel for a good price and was considering it if it will make a noticeable difference in sound.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
If the billet wheel is the same amount of blades as the cast wheel then your most likely not going to have any different sound. A batmo wheel may sound different tho.

Why would you want to spend $400+ for more whistle?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I would think the billet wheels would whistle less than a cast and a batmo less than a billet? I rode in a truck with a double bat and it seemed quieter than my billet. Both were S475's

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Cut hole in fire wall and take out the hood insulation if you want more whistle. As far as powerwise seems like 40% of people say a big difference, 40% say none and 20% have no damn idea. I did a lot of research on them before I installed my s366. I was even looking at the 10 blade ones on ebay. Was not sold on them from what I read.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Going from a cast to a billet won't change the flow, if it is a little lighter you might take away a little bit of lag (less weight to get spinning). When most people say they are going to a billet they are also changing the design of the wheel, which will change the entire map, how it changes depends on a lot of things, but I haven't seen many of the aftermarket wheel designs be tested in a engineering way (they just don't have the equipment to do so). This means it is a complete guess if it helps or not

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Thanks for the replies guys, i've heard mixed reports on the performance gains so the only way I was gonna do it was if it made a improvement in sound. Think I'm gonna do a 5" metal intake and call it good!

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Seriously though if you want a whistle. Put the john deere cut turbine from the airwerks 177281 or 177275 you can keep the divided housing for spoolup with a cut turbine it will flow a little better up top and whistle.
kinda like going to a 10 blade from a 13 blade on our 3788avnt.
call evan or phillip I am sure one of the boys will hook you up:D

Last edited:

NJ_LLY

Back in action
Nov 4, 2008
Browns Mills, NJ
Anyone else notice how the colored guy from the first video almost hit 4 cars and blew a stop sign trying to show off for the camera?

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Seriously though if you want a whistle. Put the john deere cut turbine from the airwerks 177281 or 177275 you can keep the divided housing for spoolup with a cut turbine it will flow a little better up top and whistle.
kinda like going to a 10 blade from a 13 blade on our 3788avnt.
call evan or phillip I am sure one of the boys will hook you up:D

Hmm, ill give Phillip a call then. How much of a difference we talking? A lot or just noticeable? And yea, the china turbo sounds good but i would rather not replace the turbo every time i change oil. :rofl: