Carnage

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
Last night while sled pulling my drive shalf universal broke. I crawled under the truck pulled the drive shalf out and throwed it in back of the truck thinkin that was all i had broke. When i got back to the pits we found another problem.

The spot welds that are on the axles that hold the pot in place must have broke and allowed the Pumkin to move to almost a straight up position. The rear seams to be find other then that. I guess it spun on the axles once the welds broke. Has anybody else seen this before in a duramax.

After talkin to a few people i find this is kind of common in race cars, so i am going to be calling a few people tommorrow that work on race cars and are good welders to try and fix me up.

I would have took some pictures but it would only show the the rear sittin up towards the sky.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
bummer :( always sucks to break stuff hopefully i am done breaking stuff too..... gone home with a leak or broken part from almost every pull i have competed in this year :(

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Happens alot to the ford guys. You can heat up the housing and rotate it back. You just have to really make sure you get the pinion angle straight again. As for a fix, it will be tough. Welding the cast housing to the steel tubes is just a patch as the weld will never be 100%. I have heard that some guys will drill the plugs in the housing and drill into the tubes and use big set screws to keep it from spinning again.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
bummer :( always sucks to break stuff hopefully i am done breaking stuff too..... gone home with a leak or broken part from almost every pull i have competed in this year :(

Yeah i guess i have been pretty lucky. Been pulling for three years with over 500hp and this was the first time i have broken any hard parts and was unable to drive it home.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
Happens alot to the ford guys. You can heat up the housing and rotate it back. You just have to really make sure you get the pinion angle straight again. As for a fix, it will be tough. Welding the cast housing to the steel tubes is just a patch as the weld will never be 100%. I have heard that some guys will drill the plugs in the housing and drill into the tubes and use big set screws to keep it from spinning again.

I know its going to be tough welding thats why i am going to be picky about who is going to do it. Do you think set screw will be stronger than rewelding the spot welds on the axles and welding all the way around the Pumpkin.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I know its going to be tough welding thats why i am going to be picky about who is going to do it. Do you think set screw will be stronger than rewelding the spot welds on the axles and welding all the way around the Pumpkin.

Here is some good reading. I cant tell you which way to go though. I have no personal experience running either setup.