Carb and Throttle body cleaner is your friend

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So it may be old news, but it turns out the carb and TB cleaner is perfect for cleaning stainless steal and chrome.

My Exhaust tip is a stainless MBRP unit about 2 years old now, it was covered in tar soot and cooked on rubber, and it had been through 2 KS winter (bad news). I had tried everything on it to no avail, I sprayed some carb tb cleaner on it and it instnatly started to break down the tar and rubber I took a dry towel and wiped it off to a perfect better than new shine. I then moved to my bumper witch had a few small specs of rust from it being bent, sprayed the carb tb cleaner on and it instantly removed the rust.

I wish I could have taken before and after pics but I was not expecting any results. I hope this helps someone.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
hmmm will this stuff eat paint lol i have a lot of road grime lol maybe would be easier than clay barring!

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I actually just did my rocker panels on the rear of the bed, I just put some pn a rag and wiped and the tar came off, I waxed it imeditaly after I wiped it. The paint seemed fine, I would just bne careful. Also worked on my rear wheels that had overspray and tar on them. This stuff is like duct tape

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
mineral spirits also works well for rubber and tar...think that carb cleaner and mineral spirits are alot the same stuff. Just don't let it sin and soak on any painted surface...and you should be good.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Good to know Jordan!

I need to take the moldings of my 00' Wander if this will help in getting the glue residue off ?

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I was always told that brake cleaner WILL eat paint.
Oh wait. Sorry. That was Brake FLUID that eats paint.

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Good to know Jordan!

I need to take the moldings of my 00' Wander if this will help in getting the glue residue off ?

Like I said my paint held up fine by spraying it on a rag and lightly dabbing the area covered in rubber and tar, then imediatly waxed it to kill the cleaner.

Just be careful guys, it works excellent IMO.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
What brand of carb cleaner did you use? They are almost all different formulas, by the way brake cleaner will eat paint if it sets on the surface long enough some paints handle it better than others but that grean can of CRC non chlorinated brake cleaner is mean shit it will take paint off like a mofo

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Alot of these products have slightly diff contents, so ya be careful! Even if some things might not eat the paint, it could etch into it and take the shine away. Alot of carb spray type stuff has an oily mineral spirit in it, unlike brake spray. Ive had good luck with WD-40 on grime too.

Keep that truck clean you dirty Kansan:rofl: :D:hug:

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Carb cleaners vary greatly..... Gumout is now junk & barely cleans carbs.
CRC & Berkebile, are rather strong & immediatley remove some paints.

Brake cleaner is pretty harsh & I would never put it on paint.

As for Blechewite, it cleans very well. It removes all wax also, but do not use it on non-clear coated colored paint. It will remove the color from some paints.... unless you like pink spots on your red vehicle. It is great to clean white with.

Also the Castrol superclean is pretty strong. I have seen it permanently spot glass.....

Oven cleaner also cleans well, but some will even eat the insulation off of wiring.

Be careful & test carefully before using.

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
What brand carb cleaner.? I had some wally world stuff. Took what little tar off, but my tip still looks pitted like a pizza guzzelin teenagers face.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Brakeclean works on paint and usually doesn't cause any damage to the paint but it will strip wax. Keep it away from acryllic and lexan!!
WD-40 works good and can be used on acryllic/lexan. I just cleaned a bunch of glue off of my sled after pulling decals. Brake clean worked good on the panels but ate the windshield in the one spot I tried it on.
Stopped and switched to WD40-worked awesome!!