Can you paint over Line-X?

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Looking for some info on what my best options are.

I recently had my rockers linexed black on my blue granite truck. I was originally told that painting over the black linex with original blue granite wouldn't be a problem and a better option as color matched line x would fade. Now I'm being told that paint won't stick to the linex...

Anybody have any experience with this? I don't really want a black truck to match my linex, definitely don't want two tone. I want a color matched truck and any options that may be available I'm all ears.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Good bed liners are typically polyaspartic which is notorious for its resistance to recoating. Pealing and delamination is a big possibility.

With that being said, I worked with a manufacturer a few years ago on a method for successfully recoating.

You will need to abrade the surface so there is zero contamination and that the whole surface is covered in fine scratches. Then prime it with an acrilic primer. The primer is very important. It needs to be a high quality, pigment free and very low viscosity like water. then within the recoating window of the primer apply your coating of choice.

As mentioned by WVRigrat05 the choice of paint or other coating will be important due to the semiflexable nature of the line-x to prevent chiping. I would paint it with another simi-ridged coating. Something that will not get super hard

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
OK, this is completely off the wall, but couldnt a person make that plasti-dip stuff work for this application?

I was under the assumption that bedliner/linex could be tinted before application? If thats is true, then why wasnt that done initially?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
plasti-dip would work but only for a short time. plasti-dip doesn't like to stick to anything for very long

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
plasti-dip would work but only for a short time. plasti-dip doesn't like to stick to anything for very long

If applied correctly it will last years. I have 5 years on my grille now and that's in AZ summers.

Now down on rockers is a different story because of debris from the tires.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
OK, this is completely off the wall, but couldnt a person make that plasti-dip stuff work for this application?

I was under the assumption that bedliner/linex could be tinted before application? If thats is true, then why wasnt that done initially?
Yeah, no doubt right. That's what I Would have had the line-x told me that in the first place. He said I'd be able to paint over no problem...

I'm looking for solutions at this point.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Good bed liners are typically polyaspartic which is notorious for its resistance to recoating. Pealing and delamination is a big possibility.

With that being said, I worked with a manufacturer a few years ago on a method for successfully recoating.

You will need to abrade the surface so there is zero contamination and that the whole surface is covered in fine scratches. Then prime it with an acrilic primer. The primer is very important. It needs to be a high quality, pigment free and very low viscosity like water. then within the recoating window of the primer apply your coating of choice.

As mentioned by WVRigrat05 the choice of paint or other coating will be important due to the semiflexable nature of the line-x to prevent chiping. I would paint it with another simi-ridged coating. Something that will not get super hard
Thanks for the info man! I'm almost regretting the line-x at this point... if I had the Propper info to begin with it'd be s different story.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Can’t you go over the black lineX with color matched? I don’t know, but I’ve heard lots of claims color match lineX doesn’t fade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I’ve always used raptor liner, I’ve done a few complete trucks with this product and they have tintable bottles. You can choose any color you want and mix it, add high gloss or flat. This is the best stuff I’ve seen/used. Best to mix the paint with the product vs having to paint over it.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I have not painted over one yet, but if the need arouse I would not hesitate.

1. Clean it very well, Dawn dish soap.
2. Scrub with a red scotch brite pad.
3. Apply Bulldog adhesion promoter.
4. Apply quality 2k urethane primer.
5. Apply base coat.
6. Apply clear coat.

Yes Line-x is flexible, but so are many other parts on your truck. Think bumper cover here, look at all the cars and trucks out there running around with basically plastic bumper cover. Those are painted base coat clear coat all day long. Use urethane.

Here are a couple pictures of the bumper cover I fixed on mom's 2017 Equinox. Trust me, that bumper cover is more flexible than Line X.

Attachments

• IMG_7338tn.jpg
    IMG_7338tn.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7493tn.jpg
    IMG_7493tn.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 22

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I just don’t see how after you paint the bedliner the first thing you throw in there is going to scratch the paint off the soft plastic.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I just don’t see how after you paint the bedliner the first thing you throw in there is going to scratch the paint off the soft plastic.

I think he got his rockers done and wants it to match or the top bed rails. I don't think he wants to paint the inside of the box.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Shit I don’t know what I was thinking. That’s what I get for not rereading the original post.