Can Transfer Case slip into neutral?

jtyson8602

Aug 3, 2008
Albuquerque NM
*Edit for clarity* - Truck is a 2006 LBZ with the Allison and has the 263 with the push button shift transfer case.*

I'm having an issue with the truck that I can't figure out. Sometimes, mostly while cruising on the highway for long distances, it will "slip" like it is going into neutral and immediately catch and continue going. It happens sporadically. Sometimes taking 200 miles to happen, sometimes every 100 yards. It sometimes happens if I really hammer on it from a stop, but mostly only highway speeds when warmed up.

I don't have any codes at all, so nothing to go on there. I've thought it could be transmission or FPR, but the symptoms don't really make sense and the logged fuel pressures don't match the problem.

So I'm wondering if there is any way the transfer case can slip? If so, what would I replace to fix that?

I was just in there a month ago to put the pump rub kit in, but I wouldn't have known to look for anything, nor known what to look for. Someone else was in there before me as well, as it was slapped back together very sloppy with orange RTV. I've only had the truck for about 3 months.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Chances are your plastic inserts in your forks are worn out. That can cause a neutral while driving. It usually throws trans codes when that happens because the ouput speed sensor is in the TC.

jtyson8602

Aug 3, 2008
Albuquerque NM
When it happens, it feels like it drops out and then catches hard and continues on driving like normal.

I'd be glad to log it, but what should I log? And how do I post logs? I've tried before, but it won't let .efi files be uploaded on here.

Mike - being that you are the expert, I trust you're probably right. Do you know why I wouldn't be getting any codes thrown though? The speed sensor appears to be working correctly, as my speedo functions normally.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
When it happens, it feels like it drops out and then catches hard and continues on driving like normal.

I'd be glad to log it, but what should I log? And how do I post logs? I've tried before, but it won't let .efi files be uploaded on here.

Mike - being that you are the expert, I trust you're probably right. Do you know why I wouldn't be getting any codes thrown though? The speed sensor appears to be working correctly, as my speedo functions normally.

Just because your speedo is working doesn't mean there is no problem in the TC. If I my guess is correct, you will see the problem while monitoring the speed sensor when it acts up.

jtyson8602

Aug 3, 2008
Albuquerque NM
Okay. Tomorrow I will try and log it to see if I can get the problem to show up and see if the speed sensor does anything to confirm the transfer case issue. Is there anything else I should log just in case?

jtyson8602

Aug 3, 2008
Albuquerque NM
Well, I took the truck out this afternoon and drove about 90 miles on the highway and couldn't get it to replicate the problem. Of course. Never does it when I want it to, but does it all the time when I'm not trying to log it.

So, where should I go from here? I don't particularly want to rip the tcase out and apart again unless I'm pretty sure that is my best bet. And then once it is open, what all should I replace?

jtyson8602

Aug 3, 2008
Albuquerque NM
Is the VSS the only thing I need to be logging? If I'm gonna take off on a 200 mile trip just to try and get it to do it, I don't want to skip logging something I should.