LB7: Can a bad water pump cause coolant pressure?

d-max joe

Feb 6, 2009
baltimore,md
I keep getting coolant pressure after running truck for awhile. Comes out near water pump after pressure builds up for awhile. When I open cap slowly n pressure drains n coolant rises it will be fine for day or so pending on how hard I drive it. I would like to kno if anyone has ever had coolant pressure from bad pump or broken one?

-I have pulled injector cups n resealed on passenger side.
-Truck is studded so I kinda ruling out head gaskets at the moment.

Before I pull n reseal driver side cups I wanna kno if itcould be water pump?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The leak may be coming from the water pump seal which comes out the weep hole. They normally leak after the engine is shut down. Sometimes it's caused by a worn seal or a plugged rad cap not venting. Normal operating pressure when it gets up to temp can cause this if the seal is bad or the cap is plugged.

If your getting pressure build up long after the engine cools off (hard coolant hoses) then the cause could be over pressure due to a bad gasket or cup.

Last edited:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
There was a theroy on here about w/p's going out when headgaskets started to go (it would take out the w/p seal because over time it would get a little weaker once replaced it would hold the presure and shortly after the headgaskets would blow out)But it is just a theroy.Good luck.

d-max joe

Feb 6, 2009
baltimore,md
I switched cap with a buddy and no difference. The motor only has 10k on it with new head gaskets when put back together. I running under 40lbs of boost with stock turbo. So unless the guy who put heads back on didn't torque the studs correct I can't imagine being gaskets. Not saying it its not n I hope not but I gonna pull driver side cups after vacation n go from there.

Just I had someone tell me water pump could be causing pressure and was wondering if anyone heard or seen the same?

Karl Armstrong

Aug 11, 2015
Hi there,
I have the same problem with my sprinter.
It's 2006 415 CDI 906
It was losing coolant due to hi pressure
The coolant was overflowing from the expansion bottle and no heat in cabin
In fact no sign of contamination in the oil nor the coolant brought it to a mechanic
Who told me it looks like a head gasket so he tried to put steel seal( supposedly a head gasket sealer) didn't work
And now I have the van back and I can see with my own eyes that coolant now is dripping from the water pump along with the formula he put in I called him back and told him that now the water pump is leaking he said that even so he still thinks it's a head gasket in fact there's no warning lights coming on to indicate the overheating.
I am lost please help !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
No heat when warm bad pump usually.

Hi there,
I have the same problem with my sprinter.
It's 2006 415 CDI 906
It was losing coolant due to hi pressure
The coolant was overflowing from the expansion bottle and no heat in cabin
In fact no sign of contamination in the oil nor the coolant brought it to a mechanic
Who told me it looks like a head gasket so he tried to put steel seal( supposedly a head gasket sealer) didn't work
And now I have the van back and I can see with my own eyes that coolant now is dripping from the water pump along with the formula he put in I called him back and told him that now the water pump is leaking he said that even so he still thinks it's a head gasket in fact there's no warning lights coming on to indicate the overheating.
I am lost please help !!!

No heat in the cab is almost always a water pump not circulating. And he is a bad mechanic if he is putting any kind of stop leak in your system. bad idea.

Karl Armstrong

Aug 11, 2015
But the van wasn't overheated or there wasn't any warning lights on the dash all it was coolant warning light came on and then was losing the coolant through the expansion bottle valve due to a high pressure the coolant will overflow that's all but now after the steel seal been put into it it's leaking like mad from the water pump I can see it, but the mechanic says even if I change the water pump the pressure will still persist I am really lost

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
If it is overheating then building pressure it could be the pump, but the pressure would not remain after cooling. I would say it sounds as it your pressure is coming from compression, that would point first too head gasket...

Karl Armstrong

Aug 11, 2015
I am sorry to bother you guys I know I am in the wrong place but I am only new to this site and I don't know where to go or what to do

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
There was a theroy on here about w/p's going out when headgaskets started to go (it would take out the w/p seal because over time it would get a little weaker once replaced it would hold the presure and shortly after the headgaskets would blow out)But it is just a theroy.Good luck.

My head gaskets went years ago at 99k. My water pump is leaking out the weap hole now at 149k. Maybe if you run with bad head gaskets long enough that theory could be true?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I switched cap with a buddy and no difference. The motor only has 10k on it with new head gaskets when put back together. I running under 40lbs of boost with stock turbo. So unless the guy who put heads back on didn't torque the studs correct I can't imagine being gaskets. Not saying it its not n I hope not but I gonna pull driver side cups after vacation n go from there.

Just I had someone tell me water pump could be causing pressure and was wondering if anyone heard or seen the same?

How much pressure? And if it's leaking from near water pump then it needs replaced anyways.... After it sets for 24 hrs does it still have pressure in upper radiator hose?