Camshafts

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
I am looking for any info on the Callies or Comp Cams mild/mid range camshafts that are available. My LLY build has been "happening" for a while now and I have either 0.05" or 0.075" valve reliefs in the stock LLY pistons already machined but been a while so not sure of which. The truck will be SBE with LBZ rods and a daily driver/weekend pull/race. I am looking for a recommendation in terms of which of these two brands options available would be best pick. No big future plans other than maybe injectors needing replaced with small size increase 45 or 60 over). Anyone running either of these 2 brands and any feedback?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What made you go with reliefs if you don't have any big HP plans? Reliefs add another failure mode to a piston that is non-existent on a non-reliefed piston. Not saying they're going to fail.

Personally I stick to Wagler/SoCal. If you've got reliefs a SoCal 6480 cam is great, a SoCal 3388 is similar but does not require reliefs. Wagler stage 1 does not require reliefs, I believe their stage 2 does require reliefs (haven't sold a wagler stage 2 in ages, we stick to SoCal for cams mainly).

I do not have any personal experience with Comp or Callies cams.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
I machined the reliefs when first taken apart as I had big plans but other priorities now so just want something more than stock. May not need a cam but its apart now and going together in the next 3 or 4 months and cheaper to put one in now.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bdsankey

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
cam needs to match your RPM, converter, turbo and heads choice. Its not as simple as just picking one unless you just get lucky at your decision.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Ya I realize that part of things. The stage 2 comp amd both callies are similar and seem suited to the set up i have.

Setup is Precision ML, built trans, ported/10 blade turbine/high flow vanes 64mm stock LLY chassis turbo, and 3 inch cold side, and ported manifolds and 4 inch exhaust. Heads may get mild port and the intake pocketing if i have time.

Again i am trying to do this now when engine is out and apart. Also may swap converter for one of the better VGT suited modern options that is better than the ML in it now.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
If its one or the other, spend the money on a diff converter. You can get your stock cam keyed if that's a concern.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Personally a 3388 is hard to beat, it works great at the majority of RPMs. 6480 comes on a little later but also carries the power out past 4000rpm.

The new Callies and Comp LST cams seem promising but unproven is all I'm saying.

If the choice is converter OR cam, I would do a converter. A converter will be a much more beneficial upgrade in my opinion.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
With your current goals and turbo/ injector choice, I'd go with the small Comp. Did you install different springs on the heads? You should (IMO) always err on the smaller side, over camming the engine will make it a pain to drive, then you'll be messing with shift points a bunch and absolutely need a converter.

And at that rate, I'd almost stick a piston in there with no relief cuts. A cam big enough to utilize them won't make it fun to drive on the street, the rpm range of the bigger cams are the opposite of what your turbo is designed around.

Reactions: Bdsankey