Cam Swap in truck!

DewDewMax

Drive fast, take chances
Jul 9, 2014
Sudbury Ontario
So I saw a thread a little while back about a guy asking if a cam can be swapped in the truck on a duramax. So here is what I was up to Saturday!
The answer to the question is yes, it can be done and its really not all that bad to do! Was about 3 hours in and had the stock cam out already!

Bought 16 little pocket magnets to hold each lifter then zip tied each pair to a upper cover bolt, slid the stocker out, and made sure not to even look at the truck the wrong way or breath on it.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 240

DewDewMax

Drive fast, take chances
Jul 9, 2014
Sudbury Ontario
different motor that was for sale! was selling that one for a friend! mine still alive and just barely broken in! This is a hamilton 199-207-110LSA

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Good work! I was just pondering the likelihood of doing this in the future. Trying to decide how aggressive to be with cam selection now, knowing I'd like to go bigger in the future. I guess when I go twins I'll do the bigger cam then.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DewDewMax

Drive fast, take chances
Jul 9, 2014
Sudbury Ontario
Good work! I was just pondering the likelihood of doing this in the future. Trying to decide how aggressive to be with cam selection now, knowing I'd like to go bigger in the future. I guess when I go twins I'll do the bigger cam then.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Go big or go home! Im trying to reach some goals on a single charger not twins that's why I went with a very big cam that will work wicked on a single!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
That might have been me asking about a cam swap in the truck. Glad to hear it works. I might end up doing the same thing later this year if I'm still not happy with my cam.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Now wouldn't it just be even better if someone made a custom front cover with a cam plug so you didn't have to remove the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DewDewMax

Drive fast, take chances
Jul 9, 2014
Sudbury Ontario
Now wouldn't it just be even better if someone made a custom front cover with a cam plug so you didn't have to remove the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be way easier if it was like any other v8 like an ls OR SB/BB you could just pull the lifters out without pulling the heads. Even if there was a cam plug, you still got the oil pump gear and drive gear/reluctor wheel! :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Would be way easier if it was like any other v8 like an ls OR SB/BB you could just pull the lifters out without pulling the heads. Even if there was a cam plug, you still got the oil pump gear and drive gear/reluctor wheel! :thumb:

I've never done a cam swap on an LS, but from what I've read, you have to do the same thing you did on your Duramax.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
I've never done a cam swap on an LS, but from what I've read, you have to do the same thing you did on your Duramax.

Yup. Except for the magnets. The lifters will stay in the heads with the rockers removed after you rotate the engine over twice.