Help: Cam install help

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Is there any picture or diagram that shows which way the 2 piece cam gear thing goes? I just called the machine shop and he said none of his books show it. That's all that needs to be done just those two bolts. If I can find out hopefully before 400 eastern time today I can pick up the shortblock. Other option is for him to leave those 2 bolts out and I can install them later on.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
It needs to be preloaded aginst the "spring" thats in there, there is a hole in both halves of the gear to line it up, Its kinda a PITA, but not rocket science

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
It needs to be preloaded aginst the "spring" thats in there, there is a hole in both halves of the gear to line it up, Its kinda a PITA, but not rocket science

So just a pita to get it to go in, but only one way that it can go? So there's no chance to put it in backwards? I saw where people say you can just pry it open with a screwdriver.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Like Caleb said, there are two holes in the gears. The one in the outer piece is smooth and the one in the inner piece is threaded for a bolt. You need to put it so those holes are lined up.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Only have 2 holes and both are smooth on the back gear, the front gear has 2 big openings, like 1/2 inch... Could I be missing something??

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I might just buy an lb7 gear if anyone has one for sale. He called 3 places that do diesel builds and noone could tell him how to do know if the back gear was line up right. They told him theyve only seen the older style gears

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Already printed that off. Here's alittle picture. I guess that back gear wouldn't matter really where its indexed at since the front is really what's driving it? That's kinda like a shock absorbed id think... But rather be safe than sorry.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1331846425450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331846425450.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 83

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I circled the hole in the picture. Hopefully that helps you.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cam gear.jpg
    cam gear.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 172

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Where it sits now I can spin it with my fingers enough to center the back gear bolt holes with the front gear bolt holes. I guess it needs to turn 180*(roughly, till the holes center again) from where its at to give the proper amount of tension? Possibly use some type of rubber strap wrench to turn it abit easier. I am shopping for a lb7 gear now. It didn't sound like the assembly guy/owner at the shop had very much confidence in how those gears are designed. IF I do go with an lb7/lly gear, I would still use my lbz reluctor wheel? Hope so, don't think it would change the balance much, but I paid for a balance which could be messed up abit going with the old style relucter which I think I read has less/more teeth. Still curious about this though

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That hole I circled will only line up one way. If you have it lined up right, there is no need to change to a one piece gear. I got mine lined up no problem, and I know others have as well. Surely a professional machine shop can manage to get it done too.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Ohh, well I didn't realize there was a threaded hole behind there. Thought just the front gear in that hole was threaded and it would just push against the back gear to wedge it from moving. Now thinking about it, that would make no sense it would just push the back gear right off the cam when you took the front gear off.
Like Caleb said, there are two holes in the gears. The one in the outer piece is smooth and the one in the inner piece is threaded for a bolt. You need to put it so those holes are lined up.
When I read this I thought you meant line up the yellow holes with the blue holes :rofl:
cam%20gear.jpg

So once that that is lined up, I can put those 2 bolts into the yellow and remove the little tensioning bolt and put it along with the others on the exciter ring? I think I got it now.

Attachments

• cam%20gear.jpg
    cam%20gear.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 34

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ohh, well I didn't realize there was a threaded hole behind there. Thought just the front gear in that hole was threaded and it would just push against the back gear to wedge it from moving. Now thinking about it, that would make no sense it would just push the back gear right off the cam when you took the front gear off.

When I read this I thought you meant line up the yellow holes with the blue holes :rofl:
View attachment 21622

So once that that is lined up, I can put those 2 bolts into the yellow and remove the little tensioning bolt and put it along with the others on the exciter ring? I think I got it now.
It has been a while since I put a cam gear on, but the best I remember the bigger holes are for the cam retainer plate. They should line up with a couple of holes in the block. Don't remove that small bolt until the gear is on the cam and the cam gear is in contact with the crank gear.