caltracs vs traction bars

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Very true. So traction bars are more or less for pulling while caltracs are more of an all around good tool for street, mild and seldom towing and a little street action? I've read countless threads trying to get an answer on this and it kinda seems to always fall back more on opinion then proven fact..maybe I'm over reading things but that's what I'm understanding.

IMHO. Traction bars are great for all around. Cal tracs are geared toward those looking to get the most out of their track setup. So basically opposite of what your sayin

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
kinda seems to always fall back more on opinion then proven fact
Thats the same thing I've seen. I was hoping someone had tested both on the same truck but seeing as how nobody has felt the need to swap from one to the other I would have to conclude that both work sufficiently.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thats the same thing I've seen. I was hoping someone had tested both on the same truck but seeing as how nobody has felt the need to swap from one to the other I would have to conclude that both work sufficiently.

I've ridden in both and swapped from one to another. It's all personal preference and what you want to do with the truck. The fact I'd have to adjust cal tracs to my liking all the time would bug me but traction bars don't work as great at the track. It's give and take

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Please some body help me make up my mind. My truck is lifted on 36" tires, it is now on the the bump stops in the front T-bolts are backed all the way out (I want keys that will be in the middle of adjustment at this height) shaft angles are very close to flat. The rear has 4" blocks and now sits higher than the front so planning on swapping the 4" blocks for 2" and adding either Caltracs or traction bars... Truck is a daily driver often towing heavy and a weekend strip pounder.
I am experiencing a good amount of wheel hop since changing from 37" Nitto Terra Grapplers to 36" Cooper AT-3's obviously the Coopers are hooking much better.
At this point I am thinking Caltracs but still can't make up my mind...

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Please some body help me make up my mind. My truck is lifted on 36" tires, it is now on the the bump stops in the front T-bolts are backed all the way out (I want keys that will be in the middle of adjustment at this height) shaft angles are very close to flat. The rear has 4" blocks and now sits higher than the front so planning on swapping the 4" blocks for 2" and adding either Caltracs or traction bars... Truck is a daily driver often towing heavy and a weekend strip pounder.
I am experiencing a good amount of wheel hop since changing from 37" Nitto Terra Grapplers to 36" Cooper AT-3's obviously the Coopers are hooking much better.
At this point I am thinking Caltracs but still can't make up my mind...

How serious are you with the drag racing.. For huge tires I'd rather have long bars. But I've never seen cal tracs on a lifted truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I've got a lift and caltracs, pretty sure you just need the mounting plate with the extra hole. That's all I did, fortunately James had a set he was willing to sell me.

I do not use a block for the rear lift solution, rather a 2" add'a'leaf, doubt it matters

The caltracs absolutely work and work well on aaa"moderately" lifted truck. Personally I would NEVER choose long bars over caltracs for a street rig if caltracs were an option, they're too versitle

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
On lifted trucks that has Caltracs the front plates and bars are different that the normal ones for these trucks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Long bars would be better than Calyrac in this situation.

I agree, long bars are the way to go. I have them in my LB7 and they are great, a tad noisy but thats understandable. Check out Dustin's from diesel addiction, he has them made, well made and resonably priced...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I agree, long bars are the way to go. I have them in my LB7 and they are great, a tad noisy but thats understandable. Check out Dustin's from diesel addiction, he has them made, well made and resonably priced...
The ones I make are not noisey at all. It is telling joint design that make the noise. I only use Currie Johnny joints.