C2 and C5 applied?

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
While I know this isn't possible. But theoretically, what would happen if an allison where to apply the C2 and C5 at the same time? Would the transmission effectively have a lower overdrive or self destruct?

Just curious as I was reading a bit and the idea popped into my head?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
C2 & C3 are 5th, and C2 & C4 is 6th. I don't see why c2&c5 would hurt, unless I'm missing something.

Like a bunch of teeth.:roflmao: Trans would first bind up and then I'm pretty sure it would go into range shift inhibited to protect itself.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I'm assuming it would be a real LOW ratio. In a five speed c5 is applied in first and reverse both low ratios. :confused:

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Okay, I'll attempt to explain it, correct me if I am wrong.

In the picture I've nerfed up. When the C2 clutch is engaged power is transmitted from the input shaft to the rotating clutch assembly to the p2 carrier to the p3 ring gear.
Which I've marked the power flow in red(Minus the p2 carrier which is under the p2 ring gear in a attempt to alleviate confusion).
The primary issue with engaging the c5 clutches along WITH the C2 clutches is the C5 clutches are splined to the P3 ring gear, which in turn the steels are splined to the casing. Once the C2 and C5 gears are activated it would essentially act as a big ass brake for the entire driveline and vehicle. Using the casing as the leverage point.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 49

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The trans won't just magically make more gears.

Why not? Each planetary creates 3 gears or some crap, obviously not all forward motion depending on which part is stationary.

I was trying to think in my head how the planetaries were set up but its hard when I don't have a visual reference. The picture that the OP posted helps.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Why not? Each planetary creates 3 gears or some crap, obviously not all forward motion depending on which part is stationary.

I was trying to think in my head how the planetaries were set up but its hard when I don't have a visual reference. The picture that the OP posted helps.

Maybe he thinks they put another "gear" in the 6 speeds.