Built Trans on a budget

1brokekid

Feb 5, 2014
Ok so I know I'm going to have to fork over some cash for this one irregardless, but I don't want to spend money I didn't have to. I want a good solid Trans I won't have to worry about for a good long while. The most power the truck will ever probably push is possible 600hp.

As of now on bone stock tuning, with nothing but a straight 4" exhaust, if I go WOT from a dig, it slips 3rd gear really bad, hangs out at 3xxx Rpms for a long, long time before it shifts. It's never limped, but it makes me scared to do anything but baby the truck around town. Even makes me scared to hook a car hauler up to it.

For now it'll be max effort stock tuning with a lift pump if I do a built Trans.

I have found very little info on pulling the transmission out of one of these trucks and reinstalling it yourself, but have read that it is possible even without a lift. Does anyone know of a write up or have any first hand experience or tips? This would save me a lot of money in labor cost at a shop.

I have a local guy who has built a few allisons that have withstood time and abuse that I trust, but I need to know what parts to buy and bring him. I don't want to "cut corners" but I don't want to buy anything extra or overkill. I was looking at revmax's rebuild kits, which run about $900, and wondering what else I would need on top of that? Converter of course, but what about little things that I'm overlooking?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long winded post, trying to keep these Duramax running and usable instead of getting rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moneywellspent

Dec 27, 2013
Idaho
there is no cheap way out of it really. Plan on replacing everything inside that transmission. You never know if an apply piston is worn out, if a bearing is bad ect. Quality Parts are what cost so much in these things which leads to people often cutting corners on somebody who will do a cheap build. If your going to have somebody build it make sure you at least fork out the cash on quality parts and accept the fact that the person building your transmission might not cover his end if he makes a mistake.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I would stick with Suncoast for your trans kit and either Suncoast or Goerend for your converter. RevMax makes the claim that they sell all the same parts for much less. Well maybe they have the same frictions, steels and seals but the Suncoast spring plates and top plates are far superior and make a huge difference. Look into Mike L's trim, shift and pressure springs
For R&R of the transmission you should at least have some good tall jack stands and rent a transmission jack the Allison 1000 is heavier than Mama Cass.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Just went through all of this about a month ago. The trans is defenitly a hoss so you'll need a good jack, mikediesel has a few pics on his thread of how the truck was sitting on jack stands in his garage when removing and installing. I rebuilt mine myself and will say this, go with suncoast. I didn't listen to these guys cause I got a deal on a ppe kit. The kit itself is not bad as far as quality but if you have an issue certain companies are terrible with support. Luckily evan from limitless was nice enough to help me through to tough issues. Give him a call for parts, great guy and will give you honest 100% good info.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I would stick with Suncoast for your trans kit and either Suncoast or Goerend for your converter. RevMax makes the claim that they sell all the same parts for much less. Well maybe they have the same frictions, steels and seals but the Suncoast spring plates and top plates are far superior and make a huge difference. Look into Mike L's trim, shift and pressure springs
For R&R of the transmission you should at least have some good tall jack stands and rent a transmission jack the Allison 1000 is heavier than Mama Cass.

Revmax does not have the same frictions or steels.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Op call this guy ^ he is beyond helpful. I'm very fortunate that I had the opportunity to work with him and I'm extremely excited for this weekend as my transmission from Evan is going back into the truck

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I was looking at the revmax kit as well. My question is will it hold ~500 hp and shift decent with mike L's spring kit and a converter valve mod or is it not worth putting in at all? I get that there are better options but that price is very enticing....

greendury

Jan 28, 2011
It will hold 500hp. This is from experience to. You can piece the Revmax kit together from Built Right Transmissions for around $600

1brokekid

Feb 5, 2014
Where you located?

Couple hours east of Dallas, TX.

there is no cheap way out of it really. Plan on replacing everything inside that transmission. You never know if an apply piston is worn out, if a bearing is bad ect. Quality Parts are what cost so much in these things which leads to people often cutting corners on somebody who will do a cheap build. If your going to have somebody build it make sure you at least fork out the cash on quality parts and accept the fact that the person building your transmission might not cover his end if he makes a mistake.

This is good info, and I know I'm going to have to fork over the cash for parts, as I don't want to cut any corners, but I'm mostly looking to save money on labor. I know i don't trust myself inside the Trans, but other than that what else can I do to save myself from some labor cost?

This is good info too.

Are there any difference between alto and raybestos clutches? Which sun coast kit would be suit my power level? I think the 1056 converter is perfect for what I want to do.

I know that to you guys $500-$1k saved on labor isn't that big of a difference when it comes to this sort of thing to a lot of you guys, but to me, that's a lot of money. I'm wanting to knock out this Trans issue over the summer before I begin school, so I don't have to worry about it.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Being you're in Texas I would give Josh with Top Notch Garage a call. He's very knowledgeable and does great work. Evan's great as well but being he's on the east coast it's a bit of drive, haha.

If money's that tight I would just keep saving till you can do it right. When an allison causes problems be prepared to spend money!!
That's why it's important to do it right the first time. Not trying to me a dick, just save you some headaches.

Yellowchevy

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
A budget trans should cost no less than 4 grand, any cheaper than that (unless you do it yourself) you'll be back in it pretty quick depending how you drive. I killed a stocker in 5k mikes and made it 40k before it scattered, that that was on a tow tune.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
A budget trans should cost no less than 4 grand, any cheaper than that (unless you do it yourself) you'll be back in it pretty quick depending how you drive. I killed a stocker in 5k mikes and made it 40k before it scattered, that that was on a tow tune.

$2400 in parts and $400 to build it in mine has held up for going on 5 years. I drive it every single day and am not easy on it by any means... That being said im pretty sure i am the exception and i don't like how it shifts on the big tune but i sure cant complain about it lasting.

1brokekid

Feb 5, 2014
Being you're in Texas I would give Josh with Top Notch Garage a call. He's very knowledgeable and does great work. Evan's great as well but being he's on the east coast it's a bit of drive, haha.

If money's that tight I would just keep saving till you can do it right. When an allison causes problems be prepared to spend money!!

That's why it's important to do it right the first time. Not trying to me a dick, just save you some headaches.

Yellowchevy

He's in Van, TX right? That's within an hour of me. That's great because I didn't know of anyone within 6 hours of me who was know to be good with these Allisons. I'll give him a call.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Just something that caught my eye. If it hangs at 3000rpm yet has never limped it's probably not a transmission problem. Building the trans is a good idea regardless however that would suck if you dished out the coin to get it built only to have the same problem...