L5P Buddies L5P tuner

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My buddy bought an L5P , going to leave it stock but wants tuner for a little extra , does the BANKS only give you 61 HP MAX

yes but adding his intake and exhaust show about a 100hp increase. i really dont know if the exhaust really does make much difference but i can see the intake doing so.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’m glad someone posted about this, I see on their site it’s SUPPOSEDLY untraceable in the ECM meaning you can unplug and GM won’t know it’s been there so no goofing if warranty. Anyone actually tried this?

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
I’m glad someone posted about this, I see on their site it’s SUPPOSEDLY untraceable in the ECM meaning you can unplug and GM won’t know it’s been there so no goofing if warranty. Anyone actually tried this?

I recommend the banks for the l5p , more power better mileage and less def consumption, at least I had those benefits when towing, I didn’t drive it much without a trailer. And I had a few emissions sensors go out and I just unplugged
The the two connections under the hood and zip tied the module plugs out to the side , I didn’t even remove the monitor just unplugged it and had no issues on warranty.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

They still leave the factory torque limiters in place and other factors so I don’t believe there is any tell tale signs left in either controller.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Banks derringer with their intake. There was a video posted on it yesterday by Banks vs a Pulsar. The Pulsar, according to banks, lacks boost control and does not maintain the same factory EGT limitation as well as does not make anywhere near the same sustained HP.

Here is the video by Banks. While It is put out by them, with a lot of their testing they do seem to be pretty fair/unbiased from what I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNRrpev9jlI

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Halarious to me that the guy who probally brought down independent tuners is who everybody nut swings on now. Their tuning was garbage on my LMM, not to mention it almost caused me to have an accident bc of lost crank position. Only thing I have good to say about them is that they gave me a refund. I'll never run any box tuner that hijacks the ecu signal again, too much can go wrong. I'm going stick with factory stuff that's been tweaked or it will be stock files...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive been waiting on the derringer to come out for the 2020. Looks like he has a gmc 2020 sitting back there so hopefully they are about ready for release?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Halarious to me that the guy who probally brought down independent tuners is who everybody nut swings on now. Their tuning was garbage on my LMM, not to mention it almost caused me to have an accident bc of lost crank position. Only thing I have good to say about them is that they gave me a refund. I'll never run any box tuner that hijacks the ecu signal again, too much can go wrong. I'm going stick with factory stuff that's been tweaked or it will be stock files...

This was one of the lessons learned that Banks has taken to heart. Their new devices (derringers) have a "fail safe" that if anything happens to the module all commutation continues as normal through a separate channel in the module whereas most intercept boxes don't have that feature.

I agree tho, on anything 01-16 there is no need for a box tuner, but on L5P that isn't as feasible when tuning is over $2,000.

Aug 31, 2018
I have the intake and derringer.
It’s not the bump in power I’m used to, but probably the best I’ll get without cracking the ecu I figured.
Also the truck is already pretty fast and very smooth. It may be just harder to feel the power increase....