Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
Well I bought a truck with a broken crank, and after studying it all out, it is our inclination to think that it is caused by rpm more than anything. And i know that the guy that i bought it from would often take it up to 5000 rpms these motors are externally balanced which means that the weight of the balancer slinging around on the end of the crank is causing it to fatigue and eventually break. It is my thinking that an internally balanced crank in going to be the key to stop these failures.
Lets hear some more on this what is everyone elses thoughts? Oh and mine is an LBZ

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Well, we about beat the crank out of the block, but haven't broke one yet. Started out as a well used LB7, built and ran a full year at 900-1200HP and re-built it this month. Same crank is back in the engine for another season, we'll see.

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
Well, we about beat the crank out of the block, but haven't broke one yet. Started out as a well used LB7, built and ran a full year at 900-1200HP and re-built it this month. Same crank is back in the engine for another season, we'll see.

That is wats so crazy some take way more than others. what sort of rpm were you turning out of that one?

Rand1027

Somewhere huffing diesel
Oct 5, 2009
Ruston, La
Well I bought a truck with a broken crank, and after studying it all out, it is our inclination to think that it is caused by rpm more than anything. And i know that the guy that i bought it from would often take it up to 5000 rpms these motors are externally balanced which means that the weight of the balancer slinging around on the end of the crank is causing it to fatigue and eventually break. It is my thinking that an internally balanced crank in going to be the key to stop these failures.
Lets hear some more on this what is everyone elses thoughts? Oh and mine is an LBZ

So are you saying remove the balancer, and try just a balanaced crank?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ben?? as in Duratothemax.....???

What happened?

Just driving. Heard a "bang" and engine began missing and running rough. He looked underneath to see if any windows had appeared, and saw the balancer wobbling like everyone else has reported. He said he has to tear it down to make sure, but he's positive thats what it is.

He had towed 10,000lbs the day before. He thinks his engine's low oil pressure has a lot to do with this.

It sucks, but he was pretty upbeat in spite of it.

Last edited:

MrUPS

Mar 18, 2009
Northwest Pa
dang that sucks. Someone mentioned that some of these cranks take more than others and it got me to thinking. It seems that way with these motors in general. Some will take a never ending pile of abuse with out missing a beat (bullfrog's bottom end comes to mind) while others just fall apart under normal driving. Its really weird.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
What about running "seasoned" cranks. I know it seems to work with intermidiate shafts behind Cummins. Has anyone noticed the miles on the cranks? Have you guys used high mileage cranks that was in the enigine before the build? What about new low mile cranks? Maybe you can brake down (no pun intended) the use before?

Did it come out of a engine that was babied or one that was beat on really hard?

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
What about running "seasoned" cranks. I know it seems to work with intermidiate shafts behind Cummins. Has anyone noticed the miles on the cranks? Have you guys used high mileage cranks that was in the enigine before the build? What about new low mile cranks? Maybe you can brake down (no pun intended) the use before?

Did it come out of a engine that was babied or one that was beat on really hard?

Not a metallugrical expert by any means, but the whole "seasoned" thing seems a little wierd to me. Anybody have any data to back this up one way or another?

Seems to me a crank undergoes stress from twisting and bending. The basics say if you twist and/or bend something enough times, no matter how little, it will fail eventually in theory.

I suppose there is the work hardening thing that could apply as well, although I don't know how much (or even if) in this application.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Well Ben,

Your mother told you to STOP your wrecking a good truck! :happy2:

Good luck,lil buddy

I just have to laugh, ironic that out of the 3 motors that have been in my truck, the one I ran the hardest with the littlest care to anything was my stock factory original engine...and everyone says LLY's are junk... :p: That made it 85-someodd thousand miles before cracking a piston. My "BUILT" motor lasted 15,000. This stock LBZ POS short block lasted about 50,000. Wonder how far Ill get on lucky #4. :joker:

ben

Last edited:

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I just have to laugh, ironic that out of the 3 motors that have been in my truck, the one I ran the hardest with the littlest care to anything was my stock factory original engine...and everyone says LLY's are junk... :p: That made it 85-someodd thousand miles before cracking a piston. My "BUILT" motor lasted 15,000. This stock LBZ POS short block lasted about 50,000. Wonder how far Ill get on lucky #4. :joker:

ben

my factory lly engine is still good (135,000 miles), hope I dodge all these bullets, sorry to hear about your bad luck Ben, hopefully # 4 is the last

Last edited: