Broken camshaft pin 6 bent pushrods

mlrdiesel

Apr 9, 2008
Nancy KY
I run a diesel shop this is a custamers 05 Duramax .. This is a work truck bone stock. 135000 miles . I think i will have the cam machined to fix the egg shaped dowell pin hole repaired

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Yep, it's known to happen, even on stock trucks. Get with Guy Tripp of SoCal Diesel or Eric Merchant of Merchant Automotive and they can better describe the fix for it. My understanding is they machine a keyway into the cam/gear in order to handle the torsional load that sheared the pin. If I understand it right, that pin was never meant to hold a torsional load but rather was a place holder/locator pin. It's been a while since I read up on it so that might not be just right but I think it's close. :D

Good luck. And if you get a chance, pictures are always nice to see and learn from. ;)

C-ya

mvnvltn

Part's Limit Tester
Aug 22, 2007
Sykesville, MD
Mine has done it.
EngineTeardown003.jpg

EngineTeardown002.jpg

EngineTeardown001.jpg

EngineTeardown001.jpg

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Is there a fix for this while the engine is in the truck or does it all have to come out to be keyed?

mlrdiesel

Apr 9, 2008
Nancy KY
I am aware that the cam has to come out ..It doesnt look quite that bad.. mvnvltn..I will take some pics and post.. Thanks for all the input .. I would be happy to help any of you guys..

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
The cam has to come out. Unless your really good with a cutoff wheel. :D

That's what I figured, is there any way I can check to see if mine is broke or starting to slip visually, or will the front cover have to come off to even check it?

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
If the cam gear slips a little bit it should start running rough or smoking or something before it just blows up...At least rattle or something???

mlrdiesel

Apr 9, 2008
Nancy KY
My custamer said he was doing about 50 mph when it let go ..And it sound like a rubberband unwinding. I went ahead and removed the heads to check the valves and pistons. they were alright. I also had the cam keyed.. MAN O MAN WHAT A JOB..Very good lerning experiance...The entire job took me 30 hours..Got it running about 8:30 This evening..

Last edited: