Borg EFR or other T4 singles?

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Has Anyone here run the T4 housing Borg EFRs? Either the 8374 or the 9180. I was wondering what the results were as far as spool RPM staging or what rpm range you were able to tow in, depending what you used them for.

Trying to get a comparison with S300, S400, or garrett T4 frames for overall driveability and towing potential.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've heard the EFR turbos have been having lots of problems on diesels.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
I've heard the EFR turbos have been having lots of problems on diesels.

You have any more details? I'd heard that from a 6.4 guy but he couldn't give any specifics at all...

I'm wondering if the problem is a weak design, weak super light materials, or idiots seeing that plumbing water cooling is "optional but recommended" by Borg and trying to run them with just oil feeds (don't put anything past the 6.4 guys and their stock turbos only have oil lines).

There's another thread up with the T3 gated version and one with an adapted HTT T3 housing both being tested and the initial reviews were promising with no failures yet. I'd be really interested if anyone has experience with one first hand and could offer comparisons to any other singles

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You have any more details? I'd heard that from a 6.4 guy but he couldn't give any specifics at all...

I'm wondering if the problem is a weak design, weak super light materials, or idiots seeing that plumbing water cooling is "optional but recommended" by Borg and trying to run them with just oil feeds (don't put anything past the 6.4 guys and their stock turbos only have oil lines).

There's another thread up with the T3 gated version and one with an adapted HTT T3 housing both being tested and the initial reviews were promising with no failures yet. I'd be really interested if anyone has experience with one first hand and could offer comparisons to any other singles

I read a thread on CompD where several guys were having trouble keeping them from over speeding and blowing up wheels. Jdub posted over there about it also. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
X2 on what josh said. Read the same thread on Comp. Supposedly they are a phenominal turbo for gassers. However they do not seem to hold up to the pressure ratios we need them to for our diesels.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
I have the 9180 (67.7mm comp/73mm turbine) on my LB7 with an HTT 13cm Stainless Steel Gated T3 housing. Adapted the HTT mount kit to make it work. Absolutely LOVE the way it runs and drives. Spools every bit as good as the stock IHI turbo did. Super responsive down low and through the mid range. With stock injectors and CP3 in Robs max tune foot on the floor egt's stop dead at 1305, no matter how long I'm in it. Truck should be around 550hp, haven't dynoed it. I have the gate set at 28-psi but have had it as high as 33-psi for testing.

The EFR has a relatively low 'safe shaft speed limit' at just 115,000rpms (s300 can turn 170,000-180,000). That's where the problem lays. The gamma-ti turbine shaft/wheels come apart if spun too hard. Gated at 28-psi my shaft speed is around 102,000. I've got over 4000 miles on it now and think it will survive a long time at this level, but with more fuel/boost I'd be hesitant.

Like others have said, the EFR is an incredible turbo in a gas application, Borg hit a homerun with these things for the applications they were designed for. Just haven't proven themselves on diesels. Can be over spun pretty easily...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk now Free

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Wow awesome info thanks JDub, now I actually feel dumb for not checking on comp D first! I guess I'll just have to take a ride in an S366 truck and maybe a Garrett single truck and pick from what works.

Anyone living north of Nashville who wants to show off their fixed geometry single?