Boost Leak - Any thoughts?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I have what I'm pretty sure is a boost leak, but I can't figure out where it's coming from and it's driving me crazy! I though it was coming from the joint at the intake bridge, as it was doing it when the elbow was half way out and the o-rings where shot, but we got the custom intake braced up and I'm pretty sure it's not moving now, unless it's pushing out and then returning exactly to where it was, as the elbow is sitting right where I put it. The really annoying part is it makes this screech type sound (hard to describe). Does anyone have any thoughts as to where it might be or how I might be able to figure out where the heck it is?

Thanks

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have what I'm pretty sure is a boost leak, but I can't figure out where it's coming from and it's driving me crazy! I though it was coming from the joint at the intake bridge, as it was doing it when the elbow was half way out and the o-rings where shot, but we got the custom intake braced up and I'm pretty sure it's not moving now, unless it's pushing out and then returning exactly to where it was, as the elbow is sitting right where I put it. The really annoying part is it makes this screech type sound (hard to describe). Does anyone have any thoughts as to where it might be or how I might be able to figure out where the heck it is?

Thanks

The best way to test for boost leaks is to pressure test the system , build some adaptors and take an air regulator and pump 40 psi into it , you will fond it in no time then , for a single turbo hook boost to the IC tube at the turbo outlet , and make another pice to block off the tail pipe , that will test the entire system , exhaust side too .

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Are you sure its a boost leak for starters? Im assuming your down on boost and thats why you assume its a boost leak. Like Trent said pump that baby full of air. Dont forget about the y-bridge.

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
thats a great idea about the tail pipe part Trent . I dont have any leaks that I know of but It cant hurt to check

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've heard of guys having a screeching sound when the turbo mouth piece is leaking at the turbo inlet.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
X2 on what Trent said! How can we help you? We are not there and no one is small enough to fit under the hood!

How can you help? By making valid suggestions like Trent did, not wise@$$ comments like "How can we help you? We are not there and no one is small enough to fit under the hood!"

Are you sure its a boost leak for starters? Im assuming your down on boost and thats why you assume its a boost leak. Like Trent said pump that baby full of air. Dont forget about the y-bridge.

I'm not SURE it's a boost leak, but I'm assuing it is based on the fact that it starts when I've got close to 20psi of boost.

I've heard of guys having a screeching sound when the turbo mouth piece is leaking at the turbo inlet.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's on there good... It WAS loose right after I got it all put back together, and it made a wooshing sound.

I'll try to rig something up and see what I can find.... Although I'm not sure exactly what to do to cork the exahust...

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Look under the PS front corner of truck. Looking up at the intercooler boot coming off the IC is where I have a leak now (because of something that could have been avoided but Im not gettin into that now) If your pvc has not been blocked long or is still in the hooked up you will see a good amout of oil dripping so it shouldn't be too hard to tell.

Ohh and BTW I found that 236 oring is a better match than the 237... I bought a brand new set of oem rings and then compared to them. The only time the 237 looks like the perfect size is when compared to a blown out o ring (been stretched)

EDIT: Do you have an lb7 uppipe or is your factory blocked with a plate? Those metal gaskets like to screech when they leak

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
We just found a HUGE leak at our modified y bridge. We also found a hairline crack in a boot that was allowing it to leak between the plys of the boot. Pressure test the system and then get rid of the orings in the bridge. :thumb:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Thanks for the tip on the o-rings Ben. I'll grab a set tomorrow and see what happens with them, and then try to fab something up to pressureize the system, probably on Sunday.

Todd, what to you mean by "get rid of the orings in the bridge"? Do you mean get rid of the 237's in favor of the 236's or get rid of them altogether in favor of something else? I've thought about a van bridge, but will that clear the LBZ truck turbo inlet?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Ok , but seems like a pretty silly question!
So u got a silly answer!

Sorry maybe it's just silly to me??

Btw my air compressor leaks can some one tell me where?:confused:

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Thanks for the tip on the o-rings Ben. I'll grab a set tomorrow and see what happens with them, and then try to fab something up to pressureize the system, probably on Sunday.

Todd, what to you mean by "get rid of the orings in the bridge"? Do you mean get rid of the 237's in favor of the 236's or get rid of them altogether in favor of something else? I've thought about a van bridge, but will that clear the LBZ truck turbo inlet?
You probably won't need 40 psi but be very careful, 25 psi is alot. Especially when it's flying at your head or even worse your paint job.
I thought ours were in & after watching them they still moved & leaked. Mine leaked @ 6psi :eek: Our intake was secured pretty damn good. Getting a new y bridge as we speak....I hope anyway :D

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I can't get over 25psi really. well 27 in o/d and it pisses me off. I'm so close to paying a shop to rid all boost leaks or find the other problem if there is one

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I've done that before. I cant understand how my truck leaks but I have a leak where the pipe connects to the IC with the little ring... It doesnt look cracked or anything. The elbow or the IC I mean. My horn walks out too but I have a temp fix so far

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
I've done that before. I cant understand how my truck leaks but I have a leak where the pipe connects to the IC with the little ring... It doesnt look cracked or anything. The elbow or the IC I mean. My horn walks out too but I have a temp fix so far

I know where you mean but I have not played with an LBZ IC that much. I was going to change IC's until I saw the plastic & I just stayed with my LLY