LLY: Bigger injectors

Okiejon

Jun 28, 2013
Hey guys just new to the forum. It's time for new injectors, and I'm wanting to go bigger. Like 90 horse, I was wondering if I need to upgrade my cp3 pump to do this, truck is stock with 197k still runs strong, I have a lot of other mods coming including tranny, I don't wanna make over 500 rwh. It's 04.5 6.6 lly

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Dont need injectors to make 500hp with an LLY. Airdog, DP back 4" exhaust, egr delete or blocker, trans, EFI Live tuning = 500+hp on stock sticks and pump

Okiejon

Jun 28, 2013
Well I mean I wouldn't mind making over that, idk what them motors can handle with that kinda mileage?

Okiejon

Jun 28, 2013
Well maybe I'll just go with 50
Or 75 a air dog, tranny efi live 4 inch exhaust, diamond eye down pipe, cold air intake.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Add an LBZ mouthpiece or an AFE inlet to that as well along with an egr blocker or delete. Aith close to 200k that motor is probably full of soot and will only get worse once tuned. And if you don't need to get injectors it isn't worth the money. If you need a set anyways, going with a set of 40 overs wouldn't be a bad idea.

Okiejon

Jun 28, 2013
What are 40 overs horsepower wise? 100 hp injectors? Idk what machine work would cost but iv seen rebuild kits to build that motor to stock specs for around 1500?

AUSDMAX

AUSSIE DURAMAX FANATIC
Mar 21, 2013
So oversized sticks are actually better on a stock long block then ramping up the stockers?

Okiejon

Jun 28, 2013
At what point do your have to upgrade the cp3, and why are the bigger injectors better then ramping up the stock?

AUSDMAX

AUSSIE DURAMAX FANATIC
Mar 21, 2013
Yes but not worth it unless they're already bad(which seemed like the ops delima) or you're going with a bigger turbo IMO

Ok just I'm looking fro a new set of nozzles at the mo so thought i might put some in if it would help my stock bottom ended lly live with my s475 over batmo wheeled stock turbo :eek:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
At what point do your have to upgrade the cp3, and why are the bigger injectors better then ramping up the stock?
Whenever the cp3 can't keep up with the fuel quantity being injected. That is in your tuning...

So what horse power eating would be 29 lmp 40% over injectors?
The High Pressure Common Rail Fuel System isn't the same as a Mechanical Fuel System, which is where the HP rating for injectors originated. Another reason that some company's rate there injectors with horsepower versus LPM%, is that it's easier for the average guy off the street to understand. To put it into perspective McRat has made 750-800 horsepower with stock injectors IIRC. To do that he had to run alot of timing and pulse but it did it... You can make that same power with way less timing and pulse. That way your not injecting fuel way early causing excessive fuel knock/rattle and chasing the piston back down while still injecting fuel. So larger injector tips allow you to get the same amount of fuel in the engine in a shorter amount of time, keeping your timing and pulse in a safer range. Clear as mud now?

So oversized sticks are actually better on a stock long block then ramping up the stockers?
Yes they are better, you can keep the timing and pulse at safer levels and still get the same amount of fuel in the cylinder for the power requirements of your tune.

Okiejon

Jun 28, 2013
Ok so I understand that now, simple answers, how bad will the bigger injectors under normal driving hurt fuel mileage, like the 40% over after being tuned right, and I'm not understanding how it will lower egt going with bigger sticks = more fuel so wouldn't it make more heat?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Ok so I understand that now, simple answers, how bad will the bigger injectors under normal driving hurt fuel mileage, like the 40% over after being tuned right, and I'm not understanding how it will lower egt going with bigger sticks = more fuel so wouldn't it make more heat?

If tuned properly they won't hurt at all to a point, & may increase fuel economy under normal driving. That all depends on your right foot...

Less timing and pulse... Not chasing the piston down the cylinder with fuel. Timing has alot to do with egts.