Big Couple Weeks for the 7-Story Time

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Been busy last couple weeks. Got a mild built trans from Dallas at SDS and tossed that in but not before installing a downpipe. Glad I did it with the trans out as those bolts were not going to come out from up top. 3’ handle 1/2” drive ratchet from underneath and I had to put out to break them free. Can’t believe they didn’t snap.

I also windmilled an AFE CAI in that was brand new in the box and had been on an old guys shelf for 8 years. Got it cheap too. That and the dp made a big diff in egt’s I noticed.

Anyways I bolt the trans in, that all went good. I had planned to go through the T case as I already patched up a pump rub hole last summer when I did the merchant pump so had a rebuild kit and a new rear case half on hot standby already.

It went sideways quick though. Got into the case and forks and all looked good. Front output bearing was noisy so was glad I had the rebuild kit, but, when I spun the planetary I heard a grinding noise. Fearing the worst I popped the planetary out to find the casting had broke out that holds the input bearing in place and it was rubbing on the planetary. So scrambling to find a used Tcase to salvage for parts led me on a 5 hr round trip in a blizzard back to SDS to get two core cases one of his guys had. They were both 90% totaled-except the front case half in both thank god. So I carried on till 1am and got it back together ready to go in come the morning. Or so I thought.

Next day, get it in the truck, everything was sweet, get the oils in and out the door into the winter, and no 4wd. I swore it worked on the bench. Was too late in the day to get back into it and I had to work next day so drove the hour back home from buddies shop. Got back into it Thursday and found in my delirious state I put a shift fork in upside down. Sorted that out and put it back in and all was right in the world again.

Trans shifts great with a couple little tweaks to the tune, and actually holds some power now. Spring is almost here so time to throw some lipstick on this pig……..

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Dropped a couple bills on these today. Cali Off-road Summit’s. 20x10 -25. I’ve got some almost new 295/60 Toyo R/T’s to put on them. Hopefully the leveling kit turned up a bit is enough. Otherwise I’ll be looking at a Zone adventure series 3.5”or a 4-6” lift which I’m trying to avoid doing.

Attachments

• ADBEA44F-DDAE-4E07-9562-70E2A97F2E44.png
    ADBEA44F-DDAE-4E07-9562-70E2A97F2E44.png
    578.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: KRODMAX/KS

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im reading the title and thinking, "WTF?", then it hit me. You've got an LB7 now. :ROFLMAO:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Putting in some work on that truck.

-25 diesel bro wheels.... ban him.... at least they ain't 14 wide... lol
Ha! Try looking for forged in even 20x12 nowadays. KG1 and Force laughed at me and said they were a special order. Everyone wants 22’s and bigger and -44 or -76. It’s ridiculous.

I wanted some flow forged XF wheels but they have nothing available. These came up on a one day sale 40% off so I jumped on them. Not forged but whatever-price was right. Should be delivered tomorrow.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I put some 22x11 Fuel Forged on my truck. Even with a 0 offset, they stick out a good big, but I think part of that is because of the lift. I had to put 2" spacers on the back to make them even with the front.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
BE2C124D-CD59-46C9-B326-60A23EFAB360.jpeg
These are gonna look sic. But I’ve never seen so many liars outside of our government as there is on custom offsets. There is no FN way guys are running this size on level kit only. I can barely clear the bumper and if I had all my fender it would rub hard.
So looks like I’m gonna have to install a lift.

Reactions: Dozerboy