Beyond Frustrated with DPF System!!!!!!!!

lordj37

Feb 28, 2016
I know I'm not the only Duramax owner who is fed up with their DPF problems but I'm looking for some advise. I own a 2011 (first mistake was buying that model year) Sierra 2500 with 89,000 miles. I've had all the typical issues with it (nox sensors, indirect fuel sensor, replaced DEF tank, etc.).

My question is does this system become more reliable with the newer model years? We pull a large 5er and it wouldn't hurt if I went up to a 3500 but I don't want to if I'm going to run into the same issues with a newer truck. The latest issue popped up less than 24 hours before we were to leave with our 5er on a 700 mile trip traveling on a Sunday. Luckily the stars aligned and I was able to get it to a dealership Saturday to fix the problem.

So far my continual problems have either been covered under warranty or as the last two issues were, under a GM extended warranty due to the ongoing problems with various parts within the DPF system.

I've looked into EFI Live and will probably do this at some point no matter what truck I end up with but I'm not looking at doing a full delete (not a fan of the black smoke and noise that comes with it).

Looking for some advice and thoughts on the newer model year Duramax exhausts systems. Thanks in advance!!

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Uh... With good tunes & a proper exhaust system the engine won't smoke anymore or sound much different that stock. Call some of the vendors on this site that sell LML delete tunes & talk about your options

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
It is no more reliable in the 16s than any previous lml. I'm also looking forward to more reliability problems when the 17s come out. Tier 4 is a joke, and it'll only get worse.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Unless you live in an area that does emissions testing, just delete it already. The truck will be far more reliable, get better mileage, and you'll be much happier.

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
I have an '11 and like you I got tired of the constant issues with the emissions. It was in the shop 6 times and the last time that I took it in I limped into a dealership in west side Los Angeles gave them my $250 deductible and after 4 hrs of them doing a forced regen (which uses up your fuel and the oil quality deminishes rapidly) I left and made it to Indio and the light came back on again bur was able to baby it back home to Phoenix. The next day I ordered delete kit - a tuner, unplugged the egr system and replaced the entire exhaust system with a 4" flo pro and small muffler.
I am a transporter and always have a trailer behind me, so I needed reliability. That was 210,000 miles ago and the truck runs great. You will only see the black smoke at full throttle and it is only initially and then it looks like normal. It will not look like those Cummin's and leave everybody around you hating diesels. The noise level at idle is about the same as stock, while driving at freeway speeds it is the same, when flooring the go pedal it will be noisier because you do not have a restrictive muffler and 2 catalytic converters to quiet the motor. You will enjoy better fuel mileage, more power (I have mine set at 50hp) and reliability.

lordj37

Feb 28, 2016
I don't know, maybe it's time for the delete. I don't live in an area that pays attention to emissions. If I can do it without the "coal" and extremely loud noise, I'd be much more interested. Cost is the next question.......

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
A tune and 4inch exhaust is about the same as getting a new def tank installed out of warranty. A tad more but your fuel savings will make up the difference.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
For noise control stay with the 4 inch exhaust or delete piping for the stock exhaust. In higher mileage trucks they seem to smoke more than low mileage trucks. I beleive it us from two egrs system. I would recommending blocking those. You can run without blocking as well. After tuning there won't be much comparing to the before and after.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I put a 4" Corsa on my dads truck for the noise issue as well. Nice and mellow down the highway cruising, with a a nice deep tone when your on it hard. Very tame exhaust system.

lordj37

Feb 28, 2016
Thanks for the information guys. I've been told an EFI Live tun with keeping the system in tact will help but I'm at the point where I don't want to deal with any of the sensors and system any longer. I have some more research to do but it sounds like I can have my cake (full delete) and eat it too (without the smoke and extreme noise). Now to find someone in southwest Michigan who can do it.....any suggestions out there????

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have Motor ops delete tunes and 4" flo pro exhaust on my 11'. Best thing I ever did, power and fuel mileage both went up and truck is a lot more fun to drive with most of the dead pedal gone!!!

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
I bought my tuner and exhaust system online. They shipped it to the house took 15 minutes to install the tuner - pick a spot on the dashboard for mounting to see all the temp gauges, plugged it in under the dash into the harness, then did what the screen told me to do. The original exhaust system came off pretty easy except for the part just below the turbo and that is because I did not have a lift to get my truck up high enough to work on. You will not regret 1 moment once you have deleted.

Rudy1

Jul 6, 2016
Illinois
I have not owned a Duramax. But have had plenty of problems with a Cummins ISX for there regen and Detroit 60 series with DEF issues and regen. Like the other guy said just get rid of it. They keep taking yhese old motor platforms and trying to add these emmision systems to then and the engine dies not like it! Good luck! There are alot of great knowlegeable people on this site!