Best Water Pump?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
At what rpm are these water pumps failing. I need to replace mine but I don't plan on crazy rpm with my engine. Called oreilly auto parts an they want $65 for a new pump I don't want to go cheap here. What's your thoughts

If you're going to replace it, I wouldn't cheap out. Its a lot of work to put a cheap pump in and risk having it fail again. Both the Danville and DHD pumps seems to be working well for people. I am running the Danville pump and so far so good!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have a DHD pump on my truck. Ive had it on for probably close to 2 years and 50k+ miles. No problems.

Either Danville, or DHD…cant go wrong with either of those. :thumb:

Ben

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Ok thanks guys. I ordered an ac delco from rock auto today. Set me back $160 hopefully it's a you get what you pay for deal

duramaxsilvy

Sep 21, 2012
i need a water pump for mine, its leaking through the weep hole, im doing that when im in there doing my head gaskets. do i need to get the housing as well? or is that re useable? and what about seals? i was looking at the welded one, but im a huge fan of pinning over welding. does the danville come with all seals for the bypass tube, and flange gasket for the tube headed along the side of the block, and all other necessary o rings and seals for installation?

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I had mine pined, I then cut a slot in the cover. As some find out the ATI damper is not fun when working to get water pump out. I am using an Allen head bolt in the spot where the bolt is bidding behind the damper

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I pulled the welded water pump out of my 01 last week to put in a pinned pump and it had already spun the impeller off with less than 500 miles on it.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I've been running a good ol autozone water pump that I tach welded in 4 spots for 2.5 year now with 0 issues. Hasn't leaked a drop and hasn't spun yet (that I know of) drag racing and 25,000 hard street miles.

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
i need a water pump for mine, its leaking through the weep hole, im doing that when im in there doing my head gaskets. do i need to get the housing as well? or is that re useable? and what about seals? i was looking at the welded one, but im a huge fan of pinning over welding. does the danville come with all seals for the bypass tube, and flange gasket for the tube headed along the side of the block, and all other necessary o rings and seals for installation?

Old thread bump as I'm getting ready to replace mine. I just ordered the Danville pump without the housing and now I'm questioning myself.
Should I have ordered the housing as well?
Will just the pump by itself from Danville have all the seals and O rings I need?
Can the metal gasket on the housing be reused?
Thanks

05 ccsb

Shep2009

Feb 16, 2012
Meridian
EDDIE_LLY....I am in the same boat on my '05 LLY. weep hole leaking at rest. Haven't seen any new posts on this subject so I'm wondering how you made out. I don't know what all I need to order to then give it to my mechanic to install. thanks in advance for any advice..

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Old thread bump as I'm getting ready to replace mine. I just ordered the Danville pump without the housing and now I'm questioning myself.
Should I have ordered the housing as well?
Will just the pump by itself from Danville have all the seals and O rings I need?
Can the metal gasket on the housing be reused?
Thanks

05 ccsb
You can get the water pump cover and gasket kit from merchant automotive if you need them

Shep2009

Feb 16, 2012
Meridian
Thanks for the reply...My problem is I don't know what I need to purchase because this is the original pump so, I would like to know all what is needed because I don't really know the quality of the pump a generic shop would put on. thanks again...

Eddie_LLY

Jul 28, 2014
Colorado
EDDIE_LLY....I am in the same boat on my '05 LLY. weep hole leaking at rest. Haven't seen any new posts on this subject so I'm wondering how you made out. I don't know what all I need to order to then give it to my mechanic to install. thanks in advance for any advice..

I put in the Danville pinned pump. It came with all the O-rings/ everything needed to do just the pump. I managed to tear through one of the O-rings going back together and didn't realize it until I had it all back together and fired it up. Live and learn. I ended up doing the empire crank pin because it was already apart. I didn't think it was necessary for my stockish power levels but since I had it apart I figured what the hell. Now that I won my NFL survivor pool this season and decided to blow all my winnings on a Limitless transmission I'm glad I did it when it was apart.
Tweaked my hood with my giant cheater pipe tightening the balancer bolt. Truck has a sort of raised eyebrow/squint expression now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I have yet to spin one and my truck has Tourette's, if you are in the throttle 1/4 way and gun it, it it's like a power band on a two stroke, not sure why it does it, sure it's the tuning but it'll gain a few RPM's like right now, can't get my motor over 190 so I'm sure the pumps good, hope I didn't just jenx myself

Shep2009

Feb 16, 2012
Meridian
Thanks all for the input..I finally took it my Duramax to a trusted mechanic and I received a lifetime warranty for $700.98...seems kinda high except when I looked at what had to be done..I just bit the bullet and paid his bldg rent for the month...

Shep