Best/strongest u-joints

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Turns out my stock shaft had these exact spicers in it...atleast I know they hold. And for all I know, they have 170,000 miles on them and still looked/felt great.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The force on it won't change though. As long at its spinning the same direction.

I agree with Josh though. It's a good theory but relatively useless in practice. The whole cross is hollow so a leg will still snap off

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

what compression force are we looking at? in the shafts rotation, the joint is constantly in a back and forth movement as the shaft spins round, so you get both forces in compression and tention depending on where its at in its rotation. thats why you get a vibration when single ended u-joint drive shafts dont have the yokes at parallel angles. then you have the rotational force that is compressing one side from one of its points yet the point adjacent from it is trying to pull it. the joint is constantly seeing both push and pull, even in an axle wrap situation.

Turns out my stock shaft had these exact spicers in it...atleast I know they hold. And for all I know, they have 170,000 miles on them and still looked/felt great.

^^ definitely the way to go

x2!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
what compression force are we looking at? in the shafts rotation, the joint is constantly in a back and forth movement as the shaft spins round, so you get both forces in compression and tention depending on where its at in its rotation. thats why you get a vibration when single ended u-joint drive shafts dont have the yokes at parallel angles. then you have the rotational force that is compressing one side from one of its points yet the point adjacent from it is trying to pull it. the joint is constantly seeing both push and pull, even in an axle wrap situation.
They are talking about rotational forces from the spinning shaft not the forces of the caps moving in an elliptical pattern through the phasing. The yoke puts a torsional load into the caps which is transmitted through the cross into the caps in the driveshaft. There will be a compression and a tension force on the body of the cross alternating between the caps. The compression will be in front of the cap in the slip yoke in the direction of rotation, and tension will be behind it. Like I said earlier, this is all "in theory"; I have not sat down and run any calculations and have never ever considered this when installing a greasable u-joint because, for one, I've never heard of this being an issue, and two, I'm not sure it would make any difference. I'm only attempting to interpret what is being said.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
They are talking about rotational forces from the spinning shaft not the forces of the caps moving in an elliptical pattern through the phasing. The yoke puts a torsional load into the caps which is transmitted through the cross into the caps in the driveshaft. There will be a compression and a tension force on the body of the cross alternating between the caps. The compression will be in front of the cap in the slip yoke in the direction of rotation, and tension will be behind it. Like I said earlier, this is all "in theory"; I have not sat down and run any calculations and have never ever considered this when installing a greasable u-joint because, for one, I've never heard of this being an issue, and two, I'm not sure it would make any difference. I'm only attempting to interpret what is being said.

ooohh i got ya, and the world makes sense again. yeah i dont see that making any difference. most times i ever see them break is from bad needles (bad joint) or from axle wrap causing the ears to bind into one another and snap the u-joint ends. maybe in a rare cases with a flawed casting.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
ooohh i got ya, and the world makes sense again. yeah i dont see that making any difference. most times i ever see them break is from bad needles (bad joint) or from axle wrap causing the ears to bind into one another and snap the u-joint ends. maybe in a rare cases with a flawed casting.
Yup. I'm still with Josh. This isn't something I've ever though of and I don't see it making a big difference. Just run solid spicer and be done with it