LB7: Best full flash options EFI

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Alright guys / gals.

I've searched about lb7 ecm problems and only came up with ones being dead already and needing recovered. And I've never read/flashed an 01 Duramax. Buddy of mine has a 2001 and wants the MAF adjusted for his new intake and a tow tune.

Question is, has anyone found a fool proof way of knowing that the ecm is already/ going to be problematic before I mess with it?

I've also been told that the 6006 or 3376 (?) is the best OS for pre 2003, and 9044 for the newer lb7. I have flashed a couple 03's, but no 01/02. And I already told him the 01 might be a real bastard.

Any more info would be great! Sorry if this info is out there, just couldn't find anything I consider concrete.

jwrkansas

Mar 3, 2012
Quick thing to do is read the factory file. It'll tell you if the ecm serial number is corrupted. If the serial number isn't complete then you wont be able to license the ecm. Usually they read/flash without a lot of the issues the lly's have. I've run across the corrupted serial number numerous times.....Hope that helps somehow haha

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
As in the serial # comes through as gibberish? Has nobody locked up an ecm just reading the file, only flashing a new one?

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Iv had my laptop die while reading a tune.....when the ecm is being read, nothing is being changed....The v2 doesn't unlock anything. Wont hurt anything. Id probably just go to a 2002 6006os and go with it.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Subscribing for info..

The lb7 ECM I bricked had a corrupt file when pulled then modified and bricked upon reflash. Wasn't paying attention when I pulled it and ignored the checksums..

That was an 03.. What I ended up doing to get a clean file on the new ECM was to flash to stock with gm software. Then had that stock file modified and was good to go.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Wow, Iv NEVER had a corrupt file with an 03-04. But, on the flip side, I don't think iv read out many lb7 tunes...because I always use a 6006os on the 01-02 and an 044 os on the 03-04 (and have Cali versions...that I NEVER even read the tune out. I have clean stock tunes on my computer I use.

The only prob I had was on an 03...it was a stock ecm but kept saying locked with a custom key. So guy had to fix that for me.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Wow, Iv NEVER had a corrupt file with an 03-04. But, on the flip side, I don't think iv read out many lb7 tunes...because I always use a 6006os on the 01-02 and an 044 os on the 03-04 (and have Cali versions...that I NEVER even read the tune out. I have clean stock tunes on my computer I use.

The only prob I had was on an 03...it was a stock ecm but kept saying locked with a custom key. So guy had to fix that for me.

Where does guy get this 6006os? I'm hopefully swapping for an 02 tomorrow and it would be nice to have a clean file to send mark without having to flash with gm..

My efi has said "controller is locked with a custom key" a few times lately on a stock truck, if I try again it usually goes through. A dodge I did took 3 tries..

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Efi

If you go to a different OS you may have certain things not work correct. 4x4 in dash, ac odd things. I always start with the original OS and tune from there. I have never knew there was problems with the 01 stuff.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I suppose you'd have a ton more experience Jeff, but every time I read something online about flashing an 01 I see nothing but horror stories! I have a 6006 from DP that I've used before so I'll try it if I need to.

In reality, if its a stock truck, why would the file be bad?

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
A problem with the 2001 os is it ghost codes bad. Those things have a ton of drivability issues. They will code and not throw a light, they can randomly limp. Everyone iv ever seen said when they swapped to a 2002 os they noticed a lot better drivability. And I think as long as you run the 2002 6006os, nothing will change as far as function. If you loaded a 03-04 os into it I think that's where the problem occurs with dash lights etc

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Hmm sounds like a plan. I'll read the tune and try to look into it as far as I can.

1: if the ECM SN is corrupt I can't license it anyway, correct?

2: if that looks good, just copy over the VIN to a 6006 and use it? Do I change the SN too?

I've flashed a 6006 into an 03 before with no apparent problems and only thing I changed was the Vin, FWIW

We are gonna try to flash it today, so I should have some info by noon or so.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Alright, well it went smooth. Read the file and all seemed well with the SN and checksum list. Converted to dsp2 and flash without a problem.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
No, just cant ever go back to an 01 operating system. It will brick if you try to reload it.
No, it will not brick it with EFILIVE. If you take it to GM after an 02 OS has been flashed in, and they flash it back to an 01 it will be bricked. Now IF you do go back to an 01 OS after going to an 02 OS, the change engine oil message will ALWAYS be on no matter what you do. This is a KNOWN issue printed in the EFILIVE manual. Also, if you flash an 02-04 ECM back to an 01, it will also corrupt the change engine oil message. 01 OS's use a unige bootloader to flash with by GM, and is what creates the bricking issue if GM flashes it. I have flashed my 01 ECM from 01 to 02 and back NUMEROUS times without issue. I will say the 02 OS's all run better than the 01 OS's do. I had numerous fueling issues that I could never resolve with the 01 OS like MAF limiters kicking in when they were maxxed out, timing limiters hitting for no reason, and even a few ghost limps where she wouldn't go over 2K RPM's with no codes for no reason. I currently run a DSP2 6006 OS, and have no issues with it.

And the issues with things not working correctly can occur, but 01-02 trucks are MUCH more forgiving about swapping OS's. I have one 02 OS I use for most all 01-02 trucks, and haven't had a single problem with it.