best fine tooth ratchets?

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a couple nice high end ratchets, don't need the locking angle heads or anything just want a nice straight 1/2 and 3/8 drive that will out perform my standard craftsmen ones. I was looking at the snap on ones and like those but was wondering if anybody had had better experiences with Mac or Matco or anything else..opinions?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I was happy when Snap On traded all my ratchets in for their fine tooth setups. However my 1/2" drive ratchets still seem to skip teeth sometimes if I'm really getting on something.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
I was a little concerned about that but snap on seems to have the lowest number of teeth in theirs and I assume the higher number of teeth the worse they would skip. I'm almost set on snap on just don't want to overlook any of the other big names since I probably won't buy another for a long time and quality is so expensive

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have a broken fine tooth 3/8 snap on ratchet I need to send back. Never skipped not did it break at the teeth, the square drive that you put sockets on broke right off. Musta been a defect as I can't say put that much leverage on it lol. I sure as hell love the fine tooth on the 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
I have 2 @1/4", 3 @ 3/8" & 3 @ 1/2" Snap on ratchets bought over 50 years ago when I was a full time mechanic. All these years later none have ever let me down. Can't say the same for the Craftsman ones in my field repairs tool kit.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
For fine tooth- snap-on. soak the heads in ATF once in a while (I do with all my ratchets) and they'll last a long time.:thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have one of the new 3/8" Matco 88 tooth ratchets and love it. It's got the extended locking handle too. I've put some torque on it too and it hasn't skipped. I've had it almost 2 months and use it every day. I was torn between Matco and Snap-On and in the end went with Matco because I liked the way it felt better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
All snap-on for me... I have one coarse tooth Armstrong that I bought 20 years ago when I was just starting as a Diesel Tech, it's still going strong.

I have a friend I work with that bought a couple of the Genuis fine tooth ratchets. He is 6'3 and benches 365... Hasn't broke one yet;)

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
My 1/4" is still craftsman because I don't use it very much, but my 3/8, 1/2, 3/4" are Snap-on. My 3/8" gets used so much you can't actually hear it click but it doesn't skip. Couple guys I work with love Matco ratchets, they hold up good but I used one and didn't see what all the fuss was about.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Gear wrench came out with a 3 degree ratchet. I've never seen it in person but its a 60 tooth with some fancy locking mechanism which makes it lock like a 120 tooth would. You can buy gear wrench ratchets and put Matco 88 internals in them too. If you want to save some money.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Have a snap on 3/8 and Matco 1/2 never had any problems with the 3/8 but the lever on the back of Matco broke once had to get it replaced. bought a kobalt 3/8 set last year to leave in my truck and boat. I have put them tthough hell and they have held up way better than junk craftsman ever have. Craftsman had a rounded style handle ratchet heard they aren't too bad.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
thanks for all the responses, seems like snap on is the way to go. i just want something nice for personal use and maintaining my work's equipment. if i have to beat the hell out of something il go back to my craftsman for that haha

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I LOVE my 3/8 matco flex head super 88 and 1/2 72 teeth flex head ratchet. After using a flex head ratchet I hardly us a rigged ratchet.

I was torn between snap on & matco but I had to have a flex head ratch for getting to down pipes, up pipes, and turbo bolts SO much easier. Plus a few mechanics I've been around use them all the time and love them.

Vinny also got me hooked on the matco flex ratchet, haha Thanks Vinny :thumb:

Wether you get snap on or matco you'll be happy. I personny like matco but I also don't own a snap on ratchet, not yet that is :D

Yellowchevy

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I don't think I will buy another one that isn't flex head again. So nice to have and they lock in place so no different than a normal one unless you need it

2014rubyred3500

Nov 16, 2013
Seaford, De
have one Matco and many SnapOn ratchets. Not impressed with the Matco one. Craftsman ratchets are for hammers. Lots of busted knuckles and one lost finger nail before I got smart and went SnapOn