Best DD Engine Build??

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Sounds like a real pro.
I was being sarcastic instead of taking his bait. I was providing pertinent info for the topic and gmduramax wants to turn it into a pissing match.
The prices I gave include machining, balancing, magnuflux checks, pressure checks etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Just for informational purposes. Pissing matches don’t help anything.

AF cam $1000? Purpose: to provide better harmonics.

Wouldn’t it be good to balance the crank the best as possible to help with harmonics?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Indy car engines are balanced within .5%. And we know their engine speeds are insane. So with the numbers you've listed for your engine, your extremely heavy rotating assembly (in comparison) is balanced better than an indy car engine. Which is awesome, that's great. I'm not saying its impossible, but its pretty futile to get that close with something that heavy.
A stock dmax is 100 to 150 grams out, so that is like 15ish%??

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Guys, we all know you get what you pay for. But you also don't get what you overpay for :thumb:

Some places charge more because it's Diesel and they just really don't want to work on it.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Gmduramax was getting at a good point earlier though. Everyone sees the engine parts packages from vendors or wagler and thinks it's not too expensive to do an engine. But they forget about all the machine shop costs (and possibly assemly.) Adds up quick.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I took it all apart, only hard part added was set of used Crower rods.

At machine shop had the crank and cam key'd, cyls honed, block decked, full balance.

Got new Mahle bearings and rings, cleaned pistons.

All new seals and gaskets and put it all back together.

In short, I have a bone stock shortblock key'd with Crower rods in it.

20dmax08

Apr 13, 2018
If a guy wanted to do it himself what’s a good manual to use? Obviously machining going to be added cost. But I’d like to assemble myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
Extremely pleased with my SoCal long block, nothing cheap from Guy but his quality seems to be top notch. (Oops was reading page 6 when I wrote this, I don’t know of a good manual for duramax engine assembly)

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If a guy wanted to do it himself what’s a good manual to use? Obviously machining going to be added cost. But I’d like to assemble myself.

Look into a set of SoCal budget rods also. They are awesome.

As for a manual there is tons of information around on this forum about how to assemble as well as torque specs.

20dmax08

Apr 13, 2018
Ok cool. Will have search and print off when time comes I suppose!

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Well Bring this threat back to life. I have to replace the water pump, which is going to make me start building the new turbo setup.:roflmao:
Turbo oil drain location.
I was originally planning on putting it in the top oil pan below the Balancer, but then came across wehrli fab putting a bung in the top of the bottem oil pan? Any thought on that location?

Turbo set up, Twins or Triples

I currently have a Pair of S363 from another Project that I can use with a S369, S366, or a modded stock IHI. Or just go the more convectional route with a S475 or S480 over any of the above turbos. I am not dead set on any one set up, I would like some input from tuners, builder, and people that have run any of the above set ups for a opinion.
Going back to the original point of this build is a max of 800HP for a DD/work truck that will tow fairly often. My current S369 will make the power and will do the job that i want. I want to be able to have a family member haul a trailer somewhere and have not having to worry about them melting down the engine.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Well Bring this threat back to life. I have to replace the water pump, which is going to make me start building the new turbo setup.:roflmao:
Turbo oil drain location.
I was originally planning on putting it in the top oil pan below the Balancer, but then came across wehrli fab putting a bung in the top of the bottem oil pan? Any thought on that location?

Turbo set up, Twins or Triples

I currently have a Pair of S363 from another Project that I can use with a S369, S366, or a modded stock IHI. Or just go the more convectional route with a S475 or S480 over any of the above turbos. I am not dead set on any one set up, I would like some input from tuners, builder, and people that have run any of the above set ups for a opinion.
Going back to the original point of this build is a max of 800HP for a DD/work truck that will tow fairly often. My current S369 will make the power and will do the job that i want. I want to be able to have a family member haul a trailer somewhere and have not having to worry about them melting down the engine.

Ported stock turbo with a S480. And a big oil cooler. 800hp easy

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
For turbos I would do twins. S480 over S369. Triples are nice but create head aches. As for oil drain tap the front of the upper pan under damper. Makes it way easy to work on it and zero worries about draining.