Best ball joint puller

giest

MCLMM
May 23, 2011
Fallbrook, CA
OK so the last time I was under my truck trying to switch out the UCAs, the ball joint severely whooped my arse. I broke three of the auto part style pullers. Only until my buddy came by with his auto shops (expensive looking) hydrolic puller were we able to get them free.

So what ball joint pullers are you all using. Looking to buy one and dont want to go through the hassle that I went through previously.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive put a hell of a load on my harbor freight one and no issues still. rusted in dodge ball joints can be a BASTARD! Most of the time, a few swings from my 40oz hammer will pop the joints loose but its only those back east rigs i have issues where they wont pop out

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
When i did my lowers i rented one from the auto parts store. it did the job but if i were to buy a ball joint press i would get the right adapter for the lowers. i damaged the cup from the rented one. This is the adapter i think you need for the lca ball joint.
otc-7920_w.jpg

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
ive put a hell of a load on my harbor freight one and no issues still. rusted in dodge ball joints can be a BASTARD! Most of the time, a few swings from my 40oz hammer will pop the joints loose but its only those back east rigs i have issues where they wont pop out

I'm sure the ones in the salt belt (MO/IL/IN) will be a bitch too lol

I had to smack mine a few times.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I use the harbor freight one also. Works great I even got it tight and put a impact gun on it once and it still works fine lol

giest

MCLMM
May 23, 2011
Fallbrook, CA
Man mine must have been put in by God himself. I used the c-clamp style from harbor freight, autozone, orielly(kragen) and pep boys. I snapped the c-clamp with all of them. I was using a butane torch and impact. Glad my budy had the hydrolic style. I looked on of those up. 2grand for the kit ADM.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I have 2 of the OTC ball joint press kits. They work just fine for us. If I ever get a really stubborn BJ, put it under tension, then smack the control arm with a BFH. Repeat until the old BJ is out. :thumb:

duramax05blk

Mar 16, 2012
Save your self the Cost of a good press and hassle of changing them and get cognitos 2 13s is all you need plus castle nut wrench. Replacements are a normal stocking moog part at auto stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse my grammar the iPhone makes me iStupid!

giest

MCLMM
May 23, 2011
Fallbrook, CA
Save your self the Cost of a good press and hassle of changing them and get cognitos 2 13s is all you need plus castle nut wrench. Replacements are a normal stocking moog part at auto stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse my grammar the iPhone makes me iStupid!

I have the cognito UCAs, but I am going from lifted to lowered, so I dont think that they will be a good fit.