beside myself after first trans fluid change

RonC

Jul 12, 2017
central NJ
I have a 2006 silverado 2500 hd with the allison trans and its my toy hauler for my showcars and yesterday I had its first fluid change since I bought it new.It only has 40k miles and I had just finished a trip back from Kentucky to pick up my neices rv trailer.So being the trans was never serviced I decided to take it to the dealer that has taken care of my truck since new.Boy I would never think that would have any regrets but my truck trans temp after the service is running above the normal range that it was running with the original fluid!! Withe the original fluid NOT TOWING it would stay about 150 160 and towing my trailer with my showcar (about 8k lbs) would run about 200 degrees and maybe 220 uphill.Now without towing its running 180 and sometimes allmost 200. Is the dextron 6 fluid different than the original dextron 6 that the factory put in my truck when new? The dipstick says use dextron 6 so its not a early trans that was built before dex 6.Anyone else have this problem? Its driveing me crazy!!

RonC

Jul 12, 2017
central NJ
Level is ok right in the high temp cross hatches. Its really crazy that would change the operating temp with just a fluid change

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Level is ok right in the high temp cross hatches. Its really crazy that would change the operating temp with just a fluid change

where in the high temp cross hatches and how hot is the trans when you are checking it? these trans are temperamental on fluid level. was both the internal and external filter changed? how was the fluid changed out?

RonC

Jul 12, 2017
central NJ
temp was 185 190 and in the middle of the hot hash marks. Both filters were changed with GM parts. The external filter I change every year and that has never affected anything before.The dealer did a drain and internal filter and replaced with dex 6. truck was allways serviced at the same dealer. would the transyn from castrol run cooler? Im leaning towards the fact that GM might have changed the dextron 6 since 2006.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Take a quart out of it and see if there is a change. Spin on filter has no effect on temps. It is a low pressure filter on a separate circuit.

RonC

Jul 12, 2017
central NJ
Im taking it out for a drive with the trailer and will see what happens because I will be going to the Menards chevy show Sunday at Maple Grove dragway in Pa.

RonC

Jul 12, 2017
central NJ
loaded the trailer up and so far ok.I guess the level might have been lower before the service when the factory filled the trans.Didnt know level would affect temp that way on this trans. :eek:

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Take a quart out of it and see if there is a change. Spin on filter has no effect on temps. It is a low pressure filter on a separate circuit.

Just out of curiosity. Is the spin on filter only for the valve body circuit? and the pan filter for the main fluid to the clutches and TC?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Just out of curiosity. Is the spin on filter only for the valve body circuit? and the pan filter for the main fluid to the clutches and TC?

Correct.
Spin on filter works off of 125 PSI max as the solenoids cannot handle anything above that. It is called the control pressure circuit.

RonC

Jul 12, 2017
central NJ
Just got back from the Menards chevy show and the truck ran great trans temp stayed around 170 and was never an issue.Thanks again for your suggestions and info.Ron :thumb: