Be scared of an LMM?

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
So I have been shopping around for a nice LBZ for a few weeks, getting ready to go on leave and have my truck up for sale with things looking promising on that side. But every time I am searching the net for a truck, I keep finding sharp a$$ 2007 LMMs at the same price as the '07 LBZs I am looking at. I know the LMM has the DPF and the DOC too I guess, but is it something that I should be trying to avoid while looking for a new truck? My overall goal in the next few years with the truck is to get around 600hp. Might not happen, but thats what I have the bar set at. Anyway, is the DPF something I should really be avoiding? I'm humble enough to admit that if it doesn't relate to my LB7, I am not totally up to date with it, and all I remember is how bad everyone talked the DPFs a few years ago.

Open ears to anyone with advice/comments

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
Aren't there some serious fines when it comes to smog testing, or if you get caught with it removed? I would always have my truck registered in Mich, where you don't have to get smog tested, so that would be nice........maybe I just thought it was more trouble than it actually is?:(

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
I wouldnt be scared of an LMM, just test drive it, make sure it gets decent mileage with the DPF on, I've heard of some lemons that get less that 10-14 on the hwy cruising, other wise I think your good. Its illegal yes, just as illegal as disabling EGR or a Cat or any other emissions equipment, somebody brothers, friends, cousins, uncle, may of got a fine for removing the DPF, but there probably the only one. I sold my beloved LLY to buy an LMM just gotta find one to buy first though...:rofl: I put the cart ahead of the horse on this one.

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
No way :secret:

Nah its a 2007 Sierra, about 6 inches of lift, 35s with nice 18 chromies, loaded interior minus sunroof, SLT package. Dealership is asking $36k, but obviously there would be some bartering involved. And if I can't move my truck now for +$18k, I will probably look at stuff cheaper.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
wouldn't even think twice about buying an LMM over an LBZ. Both equally as capable IMO and it's really a matter of which package (truck body style) you like the best.

Happy shopping. :thumb:

C-ya

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
No way :secret:

Nah its a 2007 Sierra, about 6 inches of lift, 35s with nice 18 chromies, loaded interior minus sunroof, SLT package. Dealership is asking $36k, but obviously there would be some bartering involved. And if I can't move my truck now for +$18k, I will probably look at stuff cheaper.

thats a good price, I bet ya its not red though, or I woulda found it. lol, but if it is red I better start looking alot harder...

Last edited:

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
wouldn't even think twice about buying an LMM over an LBZ. Both equally as capable IMO and it's really a matter of which package (truck body style) you like the best.
Happy shopping. :thumb:
C-ya

Sweet. I think I scared myself away from the thought of a DPF more than anything else.

PS- it's black:coolspot:

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI

When you said WI, thats the first place, that came to mind, when you said 6" of lift I knew for sure. If your in the market for a LMM there definetly the place to look, they got the most optioned trucks at the lowest prices, but as far as LBZ's, LLY's and LB7's there way over priced.

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
So you know the place? Given my situation and time available, there is a worst case chance I will be buying from a dealer sight unseen. I know how bad that sounds, but with a 2-3 year old truck it isn't that bad, and I don't have many other options at this point. Michigan economy is horribad and I will need to get a new truck before I get back to Colorado. Fly to the dealer, drive home type thing.

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
Yeah I have seen your truck on there, ebay too IIRC. It is damn sharp, but I am looking to be under 20k financed with a 20k down payment. There is a little room for flexibility, but it needs to be wriggled out of the wife:eek:

Edit-damn that is nice. Let me know if it moves, I will see what I can work out with my better half.

Last edited:

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
So you know the place? Given my situation and time available, there is a worst case chance I will be buying from a dealer sight unseen. I know how bad that sounds, but with a 2-3 year old truck it isn't that bad, and I don't have many other options at this point. Michigan economy is horribad and I will need to get a new truck before I get back to Colorado. Fly to the dealer, drive home type thing.

I've known guys that've bought Dodges there, its about 45 mins from where I grew up and where my family still lives. The only bad thing I've heard about them was there prices, but thats not so much the case anymore.

9W3-HD

Just another Duramax dude
May 29, 2009
Fort Collins COLORADO
Yeah I have seen your truck on there, ebay too IIRC. It is damn sharp, but I am looking to be under 20k financed with a 20k down payment. There is a little room for flexibility, but it needs to be wriggled out of the wife:eek:

Edit-damn that is nice. Let me know if it moves, I will see what I can work out with my better half.

I hope not ebay..if so someone stole my pics...Ive heard of that happening.

LRWarrior

Dec 14, 2010
Go for the LMM. I spent $52,000 buying mine and I don't regret it. It is my third dually, and by far the best truck I have ever driven. DPF delete just got put on it with some MBRP 5" stacks. I figure that I had the money to pay for a $52,000 truck, I can afford any fines that come with it. To hell with Greenpeace.