Question: Batteries

partsguy662

blowup doll salesman
Aug 14, 2006
Factory batteries in my truck...When they die, Napa Orbitals will be going in their place.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
:rofl::rofl:
Can you please post up some info on the Napa Orbitals? The only one I could find online was the Napa Legend 75 month. Thanks.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
NAPA Orbitals. 3 years now. Havent had one bit of trouble with them. They are just like Optimas, IMO.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Stockers and will likely be replaced with stockers, depending on price.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks partsguy, the second link doesn't work, I think it says catalog expired or something like that. What are the cold cranking amps on the Orbital?

partsguy662

blowup doll salesman
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks partsguy, the second link doesn't work, I think it says catalog expired or something like that. What are the cold cranking amps on the Orbital?

CCA's are 800 as I recall.

And Napa's website is awful at best.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Either way you go, I wouldn't go with the stock batteries.

What we found by running a higher quality battery is that they recover from abuse better.

Let's say you drain your battery down to where it won't start your engine.

With a really good battery, you should turn everything off (disconnect it if possible) and just let it sit there for 20 minutes and try again. Often it will now start. Batteries will recharge themselves if there is zero drain on them. Try it sometime.

The better the battery, the more it recovers. One time, I left the headlights on in my van overnight. I turned them off, then waited 20 minutes and it started. But it was a better battery than stock.

Another thing is how many times you can kill it before it won't hold a charge anymore. Stock batteries often won't survive a half dozen attempts on it's life, but the better batteries can be killed again and again.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Either way you go, I wouldn't go with the stock batteries.

What we found by running a higher quality battery is that they recover from abuse better.

Let's say you drain your battery down to where it won't start your engine.

With a really good battery, you should turn everything off (disconnect it if possible) and just let it sit there for 20 minutes and try again. Often it will now start. Batteries will recharge themselves if there is zero drain on them. Try it sometime.

The better the battery, the more it recovers. One time, I left the headlights on in my van overnight. I turned them off, then waited 20 minutes and it started. But it was a better battery than stock.

Another thing is how many times you can kill it before it won't hold a charge anymore. Stock batteries often won't survive a half dozen attempts on it's life, but the better batteries can be killed again and again.

How long a battery will live is directly related to how well the charging and electrical system is maintained. A poorly maintained system or abused use will destroy any battery. Also batteries do have a cycle life so Pat is right in saying a better battery should last longer. But, the key is not letting a battery get to a state of discharge. IMO there is no reason for it. If it happens to a newer battery, chances are high that other things are causing it to discharge and the fault is not with the battery itself.

True, accidents do happen though!! I.E.-"One time, I left the headlights on in my van overnight.":D Who hasn't done this?:eek:

Regular maintenance/cleaning of the connections on the batteries, and a good long slow charge (5amps or less for a minimum of 24 to 48hrs) before/after a battery has been un-used for awhile, or run right dead is the best thing to help them live a long life, or bring them back from a state of discharge.

Everytime a battery is discharged, the electrolyte attaches itself to the plates in the battery. The best way to charge it to get the electrolyte back into the water, is with a slow charge. Alternators generally fast charge and are not the best way to recharge a dead battery.

Also just some FYI, a fully charged 12 volt battery reads an open circuit voltage of between 12.6 and 12.8 volts when using a multimeter/voltmeter.
A discharged battery reads 12.0 volts!!:eek:

Note some of this info does not really apply to Gel batteries. They do not react to charging and cold weather use in the same way.

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
My 03' is still running the origional batteries. This spring they will be replaced before I have a problem. I was going to ask this same question and saw this thread. I don't mind spending money on batteries but thoes optima things are crazy money for a pair. I will have to look into the NAPA batteries.

Phil