Banks???

alexw21

big bad GMC LLY
Oct 11, 2009
Houston
I have been doing a lot of mods research and I would like to know if anyone has the BANKS system with the PDA, intercooler, exhaust, etc.... the whole shebang!!! Is it really worth the 3k-4k?
freeking truck is already like a dragster with no mods..... what should/could i expect??? will this make me need to do maintenance more (filters and oils)??

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
You can put that money into other things that will yield better results.

But I guess it comes down to what you want out of your truck.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
If you are looking for a 100hp increase... buy EFI Live from a vendor here for 799$. If you buy from McRat he will include a race tune(500+hp need a built transmission to run it and get the full power) and im sure he'd make you a 100hp tune as well. The intercooler would be a waste of money for an application as yours. The stock intercooler does a great job at what it does. Buy EFI Live, and gauges for roughly 1,000$ and put 2,000$ in your pocket or into your transmission fund:D

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I have the 6-gun w/PDA, intake w/scoop, 4" exhaust, and exhaust brake. If I knew then what I know now, I would have went with MBRP stainless exhaust, different exhaust brake. Can't remember the name of it at the moment. And EFILive. I like the intake though. Now if I can just find a dry filter for it. Oh. And I would have used the money that I saved on some good gauges, and still have money left over.

03demax

Sep 15, 2008
Central PA
If you are looking for a "safe" tuner go with Banks. I wish I would have gone with EFI, MBRP exhaust and a set of gauges. Then saved the rest for my trans fund.

WiggyHD

Sep 7, 2009
Mena, Arkansas
I have recently installed Ram-Air w/Superscoop (new), Monster Exhaust (new cat-back), and Six-Gun w/Pda (used and got a really good deal on it). I have $1500 all together in it. I am still letting the transmission learn, but I have been getting increasingly hard on it. I, recently, was going through the same thought processes as you. I already knew the air and exhaust choices that I was going to make based on my preferences, and I am happy with them. I don't want my truck to sound like a semi. I went with the Six-Gun w/PDA for a couple of reasons, and the folks on this site helped me make that decision. One of the biggest reasons is that I know I won't race or sled pull with my truck, so I really didn't need the easily gained power with EFI. I know, doesn't make sense, but I am a hotrodder, and I know that I would blow up my truck by overpowering it since I don't have the $4000 for a transmission rebuild. I won't have that cash for a couple of years. So, that thought added another built in safety system in the Banks. It keeps ME from going overboard. Really, it comes down to what you want out of your truck. We can give you our opinions, but only you know you and what you want and how you will pay for it. Is the whole Big Hoss Bundle worth what it costs? Probably not, but I have all but the intercooler and my tranny is still alive, my EGT's are in check, I didn't have to buy $400 worth of gauges, and I have a smile on my face. If you can get a deal on the programmer like I did (Thanks again Zack) I would get the Six-Gun. Easy install, and no way for me to decide that I want more power before I have the cash for the other stuff to handle the power that EFI can give.

For the record, when I can afford the transmission, lift pump, gauges, bigger or twin turbo, dual CP3, etc.. I will get EFI Live.

Sorry for being long winded.
Mark

Last edited:

jbarker@bankspower

<Worlds 2nd Fastest Dmax
Mar 24, 2008
I should point out that the PDA is no longer available. It's been replaced by the new iQ display system:
banks_iq_001.jpg

banks_iq_002.jpg

banks_iq_003.jpg

adscreens.jpg

If your looking for a race system the iQ will also control the new Banks Speed nitrous controller, Banks Speed water/meth system, Banks Speed propane/cng system as well as the Banks Speed tuning system (custom race tuning from our S-10 program). It's fully upgradable (via software) so you can expaned it as much or as little as you need to. As an example, future software systems will include an air density meter, air/fuel ratio meter, mobil GPS (the GPS reciver is already built in), on board "dyno" read outs, and mileage meter. There is also a stand alone version available later this month that will work on ANY 1996 and later car or truck.

Last edited:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
If you are looking for a "safe" tuner go with Banks. I wish I would have gone with EFI, MBRP exhaust and a set of gauges. Then saved the rest for my trans fund.

i burned my c3's all to hell with just a six gun and speed loader....

it makes the power they claim it does and does so smoothly so i have no complaints....the intercooler is a waste for you at this point and the exhaust is a little pricey

efi is the way to go if you wanna spend the money...my second choice would be an ats epower or PPE...but after thta i would go back to just banks...its much better then edge juice and other stuff out there.

if i were you and could do it all over again i would...

1.straight pipe exhaust
2.efilive
3.gauges
4intake
5.sleeves and braces
6. start saving for a trans

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I bought the Six-Gun Bundle w/PDA-intake, wastegate, exhaust, tuner. I figured I did not need the intercooler in Alaska. I like that my exhaust does not drone going down the road.

I loved the system, it all worked, was well engineered, and it allowed me to milk the last few miles out of the tranny before I did the rebuild. I would probably still be running the Banks if I had not lost the CP3 and a few injectors last spring.

As part of the fix, I picked up one of Pat's old II CP3's, and had to have EFILive to tune the pump. I also had him put together a tow tune for me and added the DSP5 switch, so now I have the best of all worlds. I also needed to get some gages for my new setup.

I liked the safety portion of the Banks setup, but you can (and I did) nuke the stock tranny with the Banks setup. I also like that the components are all engineered to work on the truck. The instructions were clear, and the installation was easy. Banks makes a good package if you never want to step off the porch, but it is a little spendy.

I got mine direct from Banks at a reduced rate because they were clearing out inventory at the end of the year. I saved a bunch of $$$. Be careful buying from vendors other than Banks-they have approved vendors. You may not get any warranty if something goes wrong with a real cheap vendor.

For what it is worth, my six-gun w/PDA is for sale on ebay.

I hope all this helps...

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
I ran Banks in my LLY and now in my LMM. I did that because I know if I did EFI Live when I bought my first diesel I would have been out an Allison in a week. The Banks products do put out what they claim.

As far as bang for the buck, you can get results for less money. If you buy a package you may be able to get a bit better price.

As others have stated, switching to EFI Live is almost inevitable for me. When I can do the Allison I will be switching. Since I have two Allisons that need upgraded now, this may be a while!

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Intercooler is not a waste of $$ , the EGT reduction is worth it if you tow and you will get some more power . Now if i was trying to make X power for X $ it wouldnt be a good part to choose , but just depends on what you are building the truck to due .

WiggyHD

Sep 7, 2009
Mena, Arkansas
Thanks for all of the input! I truley appreciate it all. I was able to get my hands on a Six-Gun with the PDA for a great deal! I don't know if I have the patience for the tranny learning. Right now it is on 5 since I have seen some info that this setting will get me my best mileage? I have to make a 2400 mile round trip to Maryland. My Mom has a tumor on or near her pituitary gland, and I think I should be there for the surgery. I am hoping to see an increase in mileage. I also want to look more into the Banks iQ that Jeff posted about. One interface for everything would be awesome. I do want the Speedbrake also, so that would be a good thing.

Again, thank you for all of your input!
Mark

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
FWIW, I put mine on level 6 and never looked back.

That was OK for towing my 6800# Airstream, but I nuked the tranny when I used level 6 for the slide in camper.

I did play with the Speed Loader setting a little and liked it, but it WILL get the stock tranny if you play hard.

WiggyHD

Sep 7, 2009
Mena, Arkansas
FWIW, I put mine on level 6 and never looked back.

That was OK for towing my 6800# Airstream, but I nuked the tranny when I used level 6 for the slide in camper.

I did play with the Speed Loader setting a little and liked it, but it WILL get the stock tranny if you play hard.

I haven't floored it yet, but it feels GREAT! Even at 3/4 throttle. I was told to tow on no more than 4. I'm gonna get the tranny done hopefully next year. That's a pricey mod!

Mark

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
I bought the Banks 6gun bundle and dont regret it at all. Awesome clean power. Their customer service was top notch in '05 when I called a couple times on install and little questions about the PDA. At the time, I didnt know anything about efi and its potential, except anyone who had it, had a built tranny and other mods.

Now days, if I was new and looking for a program for my truck, I would go with efi and buy a tow 75hp and a 160hp tune and b done with it. Since you are already thinking of a tranny upgrade next year, you will have to buy a programmer to increase your power. With efi, you already bought the programmer and now just have to adjust ur tune for more power and almost anyone on this site will help you with that. I didnt know anyone and when I got efi, people left and right on here that are big into efi, sent tunes just cause...

Since you are going to do a tranny upgrade, I would put the lly 6gun on ebay, because there was only 1 yr they made it, and it might be hard to sell later than sooner. Right now, there is a demand for lly, but dont know how long. I put mine up and it sold way quicker than I was expecting.
I left mine on 5 without the pyro installed, once installed, I left it on 6 and never looked back. For towing I used 2-3. You will gauge it by how hot the egts get. Anyways, congrats on your purchase of Banks, you will like it alot.