LBZ: Ball Joint clunk sound

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
So, original ball joints, 100k mi, just did the the shocks, now when I turn and hit any kind of bump, there is a thud like someone is hitting the underside of the truck with a hammer. So I'm guessing ball joints. What can I expect to pay for that? I am getting tires and an alignment and I'm guessing they will try and sell me ball joints.

Will I also need new UCA's?

It's probably over my head to do, and I don't have a Ball joint press or separator.

I saw some videos of the work, it looks like a pain in the butt. I have done the front bearings myself, and the shocks.

Thoughts?

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
You can buy upper UCA's with ball joints already installed.

If you need lowers I would pay to have those done. I will never do lowers on a GM product if I can help it.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
It's not hard to do. I did all 4 (both uppers and both lowers) this morning in about 4 hours. Rent the tool kit from autozone.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Lowers suck. Uppers aren't worth doing if you have stock ucas. There's very little price difference between just the ball joint and the entire uca with it installed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I looked at some UCA's at one of the local auto parts store, not impressed and the country of origin and quality is an unknown not to mention the OEM's are probably a better unit overall compared to the replacements. Going to use Raybestos parts and not Moog when the time comes........

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
My 2004 GMC makes a noise like mentioned. I've yet to find out what it is. When I bought the truck it made the noise. Checked all the joints and everything seemed tight. It doesn't make the noise so much in the summer, but the cold winters it is very noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Check the torsion bar bracket bushings on the frame my wife's lb7 has a pop or clunk type noise I had my wife push down on the front bumper slightly while I crawled under the truck as she actuated the suspension slowly I could feel the clunk where the bracket bolts to the frame there are four machine bolts through the frame the bushing and bracket from gm was $66.33 per side last I checked so when time and money allows I'm gonna do both sides hope this helps

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
I'm with James. This started after the new shocks? Are they the correct length?

not right after... I got Bilsteins from Merchant. Just started doing it about 2 weeks after.

I did the hubs a couple of years ago.

It doesn't happen all the time. Just sometimes. Tire shop looked today and said they are all good. Greased them up and so far it only did it once today.

I guess I'm gonna have to put the GoPro under there and see what's up. Could it be motor mounts?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Does the tire shop only do tires or do they have competent mechanics? I would personally get under the truck and check it out.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ive had a clunk sort of like that for a little while from driver's front. Took a look under and found the upper shock mount mutilated. Goodbye Bilsteins. Its been 10 years, about time I replaced them anyways.

Gil714

Nov 19, 2014
Noises in the suspension can be a difficult thing to locate. You're going to have to go thru and inspect the entire suspension. This would be to start at the steering wheel and work your way down.

First, you're going to need to check the lower steering shaft and bearing for movement. In addition, check the torque on the bolts going from the wheel to the shaft and from the shaft to the steering gear. The steering shaft and lower steering shaft bearings have always been an area of wear. If you see wear, it's time to replace both.

From there, check the steering gear for the proper torque. Next, check the pitman arm for movement. You're going to have to place a jack under the lower control arm and jack the tire up until the tire is in the air. To check for movement, you will need place your hands on the 3 and 9 o'clock position of the tire and move the tire from side to side. This will allow you to check the movement in the pitman arm and the tie rod ends for movement. You shouldn't have any movement if the parts aren't worn.

If you do have movement, you will have to someone look at the joints while you move the wheel back and forth.

You will need to repeat this with the passenger side, but, check the idler arm and support for movement. Typically, you will see that your pitman and idler arms will show wear when you're over 100k on a stock suspension on stock level.

You also want to check the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position for movement. This will tell you if your wheel bearings are going bad, or, not. I know you said that they were replaced, but, it never hurts to check.

From there, check the center link to see if your pitman and idler arm nuts are loose and re torque. In the event that you have a steering stabilizer, check the bushings, bolts and shock for wear.

Lastly, check the bushings on the A, B, and C pillars of the body to the frame. You will see that the bolts do get loose from time to time. This can also be an area when there are bulletins of the subject.

With regards to the upper and lower control arms, you want to check the torque for the bolts as well as checking for wear. If you see rust around the bushings, you will need to apply load to see if the bushing rebounds from load. You can take a crowbar and apply pressure to each area of the bushings. If you see the bushing flex back, you're good. Otherwise, you will have an idea where to go.

You also want to check the shocks for wear on the lower and upper mounts. Personally, I had an issue with my Bilstein front shocks where the lower bushings were worn after little use. It turns out that Bilstein had a recall on the bushings, so, I was able to get new shocks under warranty.

Lastly, check the sway bar bushings and rods for wear. If the bar is moving, it can make noises. Energy suspension makes a replacement kit that is cheap to replace the items.

You can see that unless a shop works on trucks often, they don't know what to look for. Hopefully, this will give you direction moving forward.

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
WOW! That's a lot to check... and I'm leaving on a real long drive, Miami to Seattle, on the 16th. I'll be towing a 6x12 tandem axle U-Haul the whole way. Plus my wife and 3 dogs. Once I get to Seattle, I'm having a 20K lb 5th wheel hitch installed and some AirLift 57275 air bags. I will have better luck finding a shop that specializes in trucks up there. Down here, if I had an exotic car, it'd be a no brainer, but trucks are a different story.

So, I tightened the top bolt on the shocks as much as I can. All the lowers look tight. I marked them with a sharpie on the threads and they have not moved. I got 5 new tires, and an alignment. Spare fuel filters and my Weather Guard tool chest come Wednesday! I also did an Allison deep pan conversion, with a Merchant filter lock.

Thanks for all the help!