balancing the motor

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Does anyone know if cutting stock pistons has an effect on the rotating assemblys balance and should it be rebalanced.

Loaded question, But assuming everything is still original (Crank, Rods etc) I personally would not worry about getting it rebalanced for just de-lipping the (STOCK) pistons. The pistons are no were near balanced from the factory to begin with. Is it a good idea? sure if you have the extra cash every little bit helps..

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Loaded question, But assuming everything is still original (Crank, Rods etc) I personally would not worry about getting it rebalanced for just de-lipping the (STOCK) pistons. The pistons are no were near balanced from the factory to begin with. Is it a good idea? sure if you have the extra cash every little bit helps..

x2... A few grams is not going to hurt anything

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
When I cut mine, there was not a half gram difference between any of my pistons when I was done. Take it FWIW. :thumb:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
x2... A few grams is not going to hurt anything

I disagree.... From what I've heard, these motors are not balanced very well from the factory... Enough to work, but not great. I've heard of shaving POUNDS of force off the rotation of the assembly. I can tell you I WILL have everything balanced when I finally can build my motor, and if I get the info, i will postthe before and after specs.

Edit: Here's one such report.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Any change in piston mass would effect the bob weight and in turn really upset the total balance. They aren't well balanced from the factory and it will be much much smoother when done right.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I disagree.... From what I've heard, these motors are not balanced very well from the factory... Enough to work, but not great. I've heard of shaving POUNDS of force off the rotation of the assembly. I can tell you I WILL have everything balanced when I finally can build my motor, and if I get the info, i will postthe before and after specs.

Nobody is saying its a bad idea, obviously a balanced motor is better then a non balanced one in many ways. My stock pistons were no where near equal in weight before the balance. These motors can go 500k in factory form (Non balanced) Point being simply de-lipping the pistons is not going to have anymore ill effect's on your engine then it comes from the factory IMO.. Go with aftermarket rods, and I would most definetly recomend balancing your motor.... But,,,,,,,,,, The O.P. already stated he was balancing his motor for $400 bucks and I think he made the right decision ;) if for nothing more then a (cheap) piece of mind. I am simply saying I personaly do not think in the O.P's particular build thats its essential for longevity...