Axle Dump

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Thinking about switching my exhaust to an axle dump to clean up the back end a bit, and give me slightly less to deal with when I have to swap the stock exhaust on for emissions. My truck doesn't smoke so I am not worried about soot all over, but I am pondering the noise... For those that have it dumped is it noticeably louder?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
I have a 06 dually regular cab and chassis. it dumped before the axle stock. I have a down pipe and 4 inch exhaust with a mbrp muffler and still before axle dump. you here it pretty good compared to my other 06 ec sb with no muffler. you might not as you have a cc

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I was thinking behind the rear axle, just eliminating the last section of tail pipe.
I imagine it is as loud as when you have a wall on the exhaust side of the truck on a regular side exit

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved over into General Exhaust questions.

Seems to me an axle dump will be very loud inside the cab.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Mine dumped behind the axle, super low profile and it was painted black. It is my favorite exhaust setup. It depends on the angle of the dump and length if it is droney. Mine wasn't at all.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
picture.php

I think I added this tip later so it wasn't black anymore. Excuse my rust. I loved this setup, it fit when I had the spare to.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
picture.php

I think I added this tip later so it wasn't black anymore. Excuse my rust. I loved this setup, it fit when I had the spare to.

Thats right about the angle mine would come out probably.. I think I'm gonna give it a try, if its obnoxious I can always swap it back.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Had a 5" strait pipe on my lbz dumped after the exhaust, extremely loud but drone wasn't too bad.

Had a factory strait pipe dumped before the axle on my lb7 c&c and it was ungodly loud. Couldn't have a conversation or hear the radio on the interstate.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Had a 5" strait pipe on my lbz dumped after the exhaust, extremely loud but drone wasn't too bad.

Had a factory strait pipe dumped before the axle on my lb7 c&c and it was ungodly loud. Couldn't have a conversation or hear the radio on the interstate.

Yeah the noise is what I am iffy about... I figure it can't get too much louder then what I have now

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
5" will drone worse than a 4" will. I just put a louder turbo in and solved the drone I had. Honestly I have to lug it to make it drone...i hear more stg2r turbo whistle than exhaust at pretty much all times

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I think I'll just make the switch tomorrow, see how it is and then go from there. Probably the only way to get a first hand experience

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Try the FTE 30" resonator, took away all of my 5" drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
I like my 5in a ton. The more and more I see normal exhaust setups the less I like them (mostly mine). Part of the reason I am gung ho on giving the dump a try.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not quite an axle dump, but mine came out just in front of the passenger tire. Was loud as shit! I guess having the exhaust at a certain angle should help. Mone always hit the rear tire contributing to the overall noise while driving.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I have 5" exhaust on my lb7 dumped after the axle. Just took the last piece off. Has an 8" top on it. I have drone around 1900rpm but I love the sound so... it's more quiet than when I had a factory exhaust with a 6" stack. Mines angled slightly but pointed mostly straight down.