Autocal/V1/V2 questions

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hey guys, just curious if it is possible to use a V1 with v7.5 software to load tuning meant for an Autocal.
If so, is it about changing the type of file or a lot more involved?

I bought a new toy. :)

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Damn. Nobody here knows?

I realize I have to buy another license for the car, too. ;)

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Are you wanting to use your V1 to tether to an Autocal? Because if you have an autocal you can load tunes directly onto it.

If your wanting to know if your V1 will take the place of an Autocal, the answer is no. Don't ask me the technical details of why because I have no idea. Lol. But I know it won't do what an atutocal does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, I bought a Cruze. :) What I was wondering is if I can buy tuning for it that is meant for an Autocal (which I do not own) and use my V1 to load/install it.

Just trying to get around the whole "have to buy an Autocal" deal.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
See if you can get that one in the forsake section unlocked and for cheap. Otherwise, I may know where there are a few but even cost on them is low 300s

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why not just get a V2? Autocal will lock you into only one tuner or you will be locking and unlocking to try different tuners. You can typically find used V2s for around $500 with a license still available.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So a V2 will load the same tunes as an Autocal? I know, I know....I sound like a damn rookie, but I havent paid any attn to EFILive hardware compatibility over the years. Didnt see the point. Now I have to.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So a V2 will load the same tunes as an Autocal? I know, I know....I sound like a damn rookie, but I havent paid any attn to EFILive hardware compatibility over the years. Didnt see the point. Now I have to.
Yup. Provided the tune isnt locked to a specific autocal. Unlocked tunes can be flashed with a V2 or Autocal. Black Box or pass-through. Other than potentially locking the tune to a specific unit, there is no difference between the tunes.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
See if you can get that one in the forsake section unlocked and for cheap. Otherwise, I may know where there are a few but even cost on them is low 300s

That one would be around $300 total if you figure cost of license, and would still need to be unlocked -- not sure on what the cost would be for that. I found a blank one online for $359 that includes one license.
Ah well, this is all for down the road....I can wait.

Thanks for the info, guys.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but the Autocal will need to be linked to a V2 before you can use it for anything.

The tune file that you want to flash using said Autocal will also need to be linked to the same V2 that the Autocal is linked to.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That is what I was talking about in my post with the locking and unlocking for different tuners.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yep. Well, if any of you guys come across a decent deal on a V2, let me know.

Last edited:

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
If your wanting to try out different tuners the way to go is with a flashscan. If you already have a tuner in mind, you can probably get a better deal from them directly purchasing an autocal with tunes loaded on it from them.

With the flashscan you have more options and functionality but it will cost you some more.

Blank new autocals sell for 375-450ish (depending on who you buy them from), brand new with a license ready for tunes....... but it will need to be linked to a flashscan then tunes purchased and loaded to it for use.

Flashscans don't necessarily have to have the tune loaded to it, because you can flash in passthru mode by using your laptaop. If you find a used one reasonably with a license that would be the way to go. And, FS don't need to be linked to any specific tuner, so you can use anybody out there.........

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Found my answer. A V2 should come with two licenses if it has never been used. :) Nice.

Bring on the Cruze tuning. ;)