Attention LML owners...

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I figured I would put this out there as a heads up. I've had to replace 4 radiators on LML's (most have been '11's) in the past year due to a simple fix. These radiators have been getting holes rubbed in the fins from the rubber 'flaps' that surround the fan. The flaps should be folded back towards the engine. The ones I've been seeing a lot lately have 'flipped' forward and start rubbing on the radiator. The bad part is since it's just rubber rubbing on the radiator, the hole doesn't seem to show up until the vehicle is out of the bumper to bumper warranty. Figured I'd let you all know as a quick check around the fan for the rubber flaps positioned correctly is all that is needed to hopefully prevent future failures down the road.

Any LML owners let me know your results from inspection :thumb: Cheers :beer2:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Bringing this back up as we got in another '11 that had the issue. This one hadn't rubbed through the radiator yet luckily. The first pic you can see the flaps are sucked into the fan shroud, whereas the second pic shows where they should be at.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Definitely save some money since these usually happen out of basic warranty. This truck was at 47,000 miles. Don't forget to look all around the shroud. I've seen them folded in on the side as well.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just had to replace one of those recently for the exact same thing. I wasn't sure what caused it as I found the leak after I replaced the cp4. Good to know why it happened.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So is this an installation error or do they get sucked in?
What is the fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Either they are getting sucked in from the fan due to too much clearance between the shroud and fan frame, or it's just negligence from factory install. The ones I've repaired did not have any history of repairs that would have indicated fan removal.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Either they are getting sucked in from the fan due to too much clearance between the shroud and fan frame, or it's just negligence from factory install. The ones I've repaired did not have any history of repairs that would have indicated fan removal.

So what is the fix to keep them from getting sucked in other than constantly checking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Just got in my first 2012 with the whole top flap portion folded in. 49,000 miles. You can see just a tiny bit of it at the bottom of the pic. I'm really curious what is going on here. I feel like the clearance between the fan and the shroud is too much. I took the shroud off and every single one of those flaps were rubbing on the radiator. The aluminum had a nice shiny spot on it.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Good to know. Almost at 80,000 on our LML with the DEF recall being the only issue its ever had. Ill check it out tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2