ARP Headstuds

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Anybody know if arp headstuds need re-torquing after engine warm up?

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
followed them just as the book said.
1st sequence-37 ft lbs
2nd sequence-59 ft lbs
3rd sequence-60 degrees
4th sequence-60 degrees

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
That's the wrong torque!! Arp studs torque to 125ftlbs 3 times. Torque to 125ftlbs, loosen one at a time and retorque to 125ftlbs, repeat once again. Small bolts torque to 22ftlbs with arp lube. If you look in the box they came in there is torque specs on 2 separate pieces of paper. You did use arp lube on them didn't you?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Also after you hit your last 125 your suposed to let them sit for 24 hours and go back and do a check in order 1 last time of 125 im not saying to loosen them but only to check them at 125 1 last time before covering them

BHoward6.6

West Coast
Feb 9, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
Tighten the nuts in three equal steps to 125lbs.
First torque to 42lbs, Then 84lbs, then 125lbs.
Don't Torque to 125ftlbs, loosen one at a time and retorque to 125ftlbs, repeat once again.

Automotive Racing Products Tel: (805) 339-2200
1863 Eastman Avenue Fax: (805) 650-0742
Ventura, Ca 93003 www.arp-bolts.com
INSTALLATION METHOD FOR HEAD STUD KITS​
Part Number: 230-4201 Application: Chevy 6.6L Duramax Diesel​
1.​
Always verify the part number for your application with the part number on the side of box and the part
number on the instruction sheet. This will help ensure you have the correct installation procedure for
your specific application before installing any components.

2. Clean and inspect all hardware prior to installation. Look for obvious defects or shipping damages, plus proper fit,
length and dimension.
3. To ensure proper thread engagement and accurate torque readings, clean ALL threads in the block. Chase if
necessary with ARP Thread Chaser, part number 912-0007 (M12 X 1.5) and 912-0001 (M8 X 1.25).
4. If the cylinder head studs protrude into a water jacket, lubricate the block threads of the studs with ARP THREAD
SEALER.
5. Screw studs into the block “HAND TIGHT ONLY”.​
NOTE: LOCTITE MAY BE USED IF A PERMANENT MOUNTING OF THE STUDS IS PREFERRED. THE
FASTENERS, HOWEVER, MUST BE TORQUED PRIOR TO THE LOCTITE SETTING UP.​
6. Install the cylinder head(s) and check for binding or misalignment.
7. Lubricate the stud threads, nuts and washers with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.
Then install the washers and the nuts onto the studs and tighten them hand tight.​
ARP recommends using the
ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT that is provided with each kit as opposed to
motor oil. This is due to higher friction on the studs as well as inconsistencies in the clamping force of
the fasteners when motor oil or other low quality lubricants are used.

PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS​
8. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts​
in three equal steps to the
following specifications
with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.

M12 125 ft lbs M8 25 ft lbs​
Note:​
ARP Ultra-Torque Fastener Assembly Lubricant has been specifically designed to reduce tension preload scatter and
eliminate the need to cycle high performance engine fasteners before final installation. ARP Ultra-Torque far surpasses all
requirements offered by previous ARP lubricants in terms of fastener preload repeatability and performance lubricating
properties. For more information on ARP Ultra-Torque visit our website at
www.arp-bolts.com or call 1 800-826-3045.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Also after you hit your last 125 your suposed to let them sit for 24 hours and go back and do a check in order 1 last time of 125 im not saying to loosen them but only to check them at 125 1 last time before covering them

Shit .... .

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
I got confused and followed the torque sequence in the book going 4 passes, but at these torque specs. Should be ok?
1st-37
2nd-59
3rd-90
4th-125

Engine is back in truck. Just started up with 60 overs and an arson 2 kit. I also eliminated my fuel test port and went straight in to the pump from the filter using a 1/2 inch to 3/8 adapter with a 3/8 hose and ppe fitting.To completely eliminate the test port I also rerouted the return with 1/8 inch barb to 5/16 adapter to the return T block

Can anybody help me rescale my FPR?

Attachments

• photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    542.4 KB · Views: 40

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Mikey,
I don't know what 59 ftlbs & 120* equates to but IF they are overtorqued to much you might want to consider some new studs... I would get my hands on a dial or digital torque wrench and see how much torque you applied to them. Maybe pull one out and make sure its not tapered (streched)

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Wow, they've changed their install steps. Used to you cycled them 3 times at 125. Now they're saying not to.
Did you get the info from arps website???? i did all in sequence to 45 90 the 125 and backed them off in reverse order and then did the same process 2 more times and rechecked the next day to 125 again i hope i understood them and did this correctly????

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Did you get the info from arps website???? i did all in sequence to 45 90 the 125 and backed them off in reverse order and then did the same process 2 more times and rechecked the next day to 125 again i hope i understood them and did this correctly????

You did them correctly. I always cycle them 3 times. The old instructions said to, obviously the new ones say just to torque once. To tell you the truth I haven't read the instructions that come in the box for a long time. I've memorized pretty much every torque spec on a duramax. Haha.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
You did them correctly. I always cycle them 3 times. The old instructions said to, obviously the new ones say just to torque once. To tell you the truth I haven't read the instructions that come in the box for a long time. I've memorized pretty much every torque spec on a duramax. Haha.
I was always under the inpression it was the idea to prestreacth the studs so when under opperation and heat up and cool down they would hold solid

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
That's what I always thought too. Maybe the instructions on the website are just generic specs for that size stud, idk. But I always have and will continue to cycle them 3 times on install. I always do one at a time also never all at once.