Are 05 lly and 06 lbz stock turbos the same?

tooldude

Aug 11, 2012
What is the difference between an 05 lly turbo and an 06/07 lbz turbo? A friend with an 05 needs a turbo and I have access to a couple low mileage 06/07 lbz turbos maybe. I know they take the same aftermarket turbos, but what about stock?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
they are different, but interchangeable.

Just swap over the vane position sensor (put the LLY sensor on the LBZ turbo), and bolt it in and go.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It has a smaller exhaust housing that makes it spool a little quicker. It makes a truck more responsive and more fun to drive than an LLY turbo, IMO.

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
Not enough to go through the trouble of swapping for the hell of it in my opinion.
Lbz will flow a little more, lly has a bigger compressor wheel.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
My Lbz was a hell of a lot
Snappier then my Lly is. Now I understand why. How big of a difference between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonesin33

Aug 26, 2011
TX
MY LLY TURBO IS FU€kin HUGE bro! whenever I'm rolling thru people are always like "damn bro... Huge turbo" :rofl at least 108mm or so... Depends on my tire pressure and tailwind.

AUSDMAX

AUSSIE DURAMAX FANATIC
Mar 21, 2013
sorry to dig up an old thread but are the LLY vane position sensors the same as LBZ/LMM ones? just i need to order one for a build i have going that has an LLY turbo on a LBZ motor and i needed to know before ordering some

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
The sensors have a different connector. An lly sensor will not plug into the lbz harness and vice versa. Garrett sell the adapter so you can run an lbz sensor on an lly. Not worth the trouble tracking one down tho. Just order the right model year sensor to begin with.

AUSDMAX

AUSSIE DURAMAX FANATIC
Mar 21, 2013
Ok ill just modify the plug as i can get a few new lly sensors cheap im going to grab them and just mod the plug iv looked at the both of them and it seems that the slot is just in a different position i was mainly worried about if the ecm would not see it being and lly sensor in a lbz :eek:

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Not enough to go through the trouble of swapping for the hell of it in my opinion.
Lbz will flow a little more, lly has a bigger compressor wheel.

LLY will flow more, comp. inducer is larger while the hub is smaller makes for much more blade area. exducers are the same.
LLY turbine wheel is larger as well as a much larger housing.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
LLY will flow more, comp. inducer is larger while the hub is smaller makes for much more blade area. exducers are the same.
LLY turbine wheel is larger as well as a much larger housing.

so if your limited to a stock charger it is 100% worth it to run a lly charger?