pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
471c0aa37c62ddd5f05ee803f6bb9725.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I kinda want an old squarebody suburban to setup as an overland/adventure/SHTF truck. Maybe one day but I doubt it. The thought of it has always intrigued me though and I have been wanting to get some means of going camping with the family. I'm afraid even this type of camping is too primitive for my family (wife). They'd most definitely need/want/require an RV or camper with good functioning HVAC and bathroom/shower amenities before I could convince them to go more than once.

So I found myself looking at slide-in campers but more of the rugged overland/adventure type. Boy, they're expensive! I guess because they're a specialty niche item. So I'd have to try to make something old and dated into something more modern and apt for my desires. Maybe look for something a little harder this winter.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
121eb3f127d534263421a617f07e7a68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! how much wobble or bounce does the tire have? seems no matter how well i build the base of a tire gate like that, the damn tire will bounce back and forth a decent amount. going to mount a fold down table on the back side of it??

I kinda want an old squarebody suburban to setup as an overland/adventure/SHTF truck. Maybe one day but I doubt it. The thought of it has always intrigued me though and I have been wanting to get some means of going camping with the family. I'm afraid even this type of camping is too primitive for my family (wife). They'd most definitely need/want/require an RV or camper with good functioning HVAC and bathroom/shower amenities before I could convince them to go more than once.

So I found myself looking at slide-in campers but more of the rugged overland/adventure type. Boy, they're expensive! I guess because they're a specialty niche item. So I'd have to try to make something old and dated into something more modern and apt for my desires. Maybe look for something a little harder this winter.

oh thats all the newer slide in campers, Mitch. When we bought our toy hauler, friend of mine in our zuk group bought a brand new Lance slide in camper with a slide out. Fish asks him what he paid for it and he says "40k". i about fell over. i had no damn idea they were selling for that much!

Reactions: SmokeShow

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

I thought the same on my girl, but turns out she’s actually been liking it. A portable toilet/ shower anex would be key in your setup

Reactions: SmokeShow

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Nice! how much wobble or bounce does the tire have? seems no matter how well i build the base of a tire gate like that, the damn tire will bounce back and forth a decent amount. going to mount a fold down table on the back side of it??

oh thats all the newer slide in campers, Mitch. When we bought our toy hauler, friend of mine in our zuk group bought a brand new Lance slide in camper with a slide out. Fish asks him what he paid for it and he says "40k". i about fell over. i had no damn idea they were selling for that much!

It moves a little as expected. However it rests against the latch of the camper shell so it really doesn’t move to much.

Fold down table is definitely going on the back side, along with water/ fuel container on the left.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Yesterday I acquired a cognito 4” non torsion drop. Old man bought a truck with it on there and wanted his stock. So me and another guy swapped the parts over, all it cost me was my labor. Can’t complain about those prices.

Also installed a new passenger side cv axle while it was apart.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Dang, does look good and low.

I’d look into a deaver mini pack to get rid of the block in back, I loved how my old truck rode with the Cognito 4” ntbd and deaver mini pack. You’ll have the payload of a 1/2 ton but that should still be fine with what you’ve got back there, unless you’re also towing heavy with the truck all loaded up?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Dang, does look good and low.

I’d look into a deaver mini pack to get rid of the block in back, I loved how my old truck rode with the Cognito 4” ntbd and deaver mini pack. You’ll have the payload of a 1/2 ton but that should still be fine with what you’ve got back there, unless you’re also towing heavy with the truck all loaded up?

I still tow almost daily with mine, so deavers won’t really work for me unless I rebuild them all the time.

Also I run around with about 1500lbs of shit in the bed 98% of the time

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Well then, that’s pretty much the ideal scenario to not do it haha.